Ridge and hip tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new roof the tiles being the flat Grampian variety. One thing I'm not sure about is the fatc that the roofer has fixed the ridge and hip tiles using expanding foam. He says he will trim the foam and point the tiles at a later date with cement. Is this normal practice or just a labour saving way rather than bedding them in sand and cement? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it's a bodge and won't last. They should be fixed/bedded properly.

You paid for a new roof and they stuck your hip and ridge tiles down with expanding foam! beggars belief.

They aint roofers.

I haven't paid the last instalment for the job yet and am considering wether to withold the payment until they're properly bedded on sand and cement. If this is not the correct way of doing it, it must have been to save time because using foam would be more expensive than sand and cement?

Sponsored Links
Did they manage to bed level on top of the foam? as you say it would work out more expensive, cant understand the reasoning tbh.

Can you post a pic?

Sounds like its an issue of cantbearsed.com
The birds will enjoy pecking at the foam though. A total bodge, that one!
John :)

Were abouts in Lancashire are you I may drive past to take a look :eek: I can only think they were worried about frost, but then you would put a dry ridge system on surely not foam. Maybe I am out of touch and its a new technique.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back