Ridge forming between two chipboard floor panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ridge forming on the bathroom floor where two chipboard panels meet.

The intitial thought was it was probably due to warping from a water spillage, but there are no signs of water damage on teh boards. Could be condensation I suppose, but it is only in a area about half a metre long.

Do chip boards panel nead a slight gap to breath out of interest?

Anyway what is the best method of levelling the ridge out and allowing the boards to settle back?

Sponsored Links
Plane the ridge with either a hand plane or power plane until it's flush with the other boards.

are you talking chipboard flooring off around 22mm thick or 9mm thick planks around 150 wide ???

Plane the ridge with either a hand plane or power plane until it's flush with the other boards.

sometimes the simplist ideas are the easiest.

i tried this and am pretty happy with the result.

it doesnt help the house builders have obviously left a bit of uneven floor, but at least I can't feel the ridge now!

Sponsored Links
are you talking chipboard flooring off around 22mm thick or 9mm thick planks around 150 wide ???

i would have to check, but although replacing the boards was one option being considering I think I am happy with the result.

Although for a perfecy result i suspect i would need to use some sort of self levelling compound

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back