Ridge Tiles repointing + flaky tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I keep getting bits of mortar falling down my roof, so took a look at the ridge tiles. There doesnt seem to be any pointing between any of the tiles. they are the type that butt up against each other without that overlap i've seen on other roofs. Do I need to repoint them urgently? Access is reasonably easy as the flat roof from the extension goes up to the bottom of the pitched roof at the back. DIY Job? I don't mind heights There isn't any sign of leaking in the loft.
Also, the tiles on the roof are what I think are called 'cotswold stone roof tiles'. some of them are flaking and showing the material underneath. Should I start to panic and start saving?? I've noticed this on other roofs with the same tiles.
Any info much appreciated.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The ridge needs re-pointing which is a fairly easy task if your competent at heights but it sounds like your roof may be in need of a good looking at by a roofer if it's showing the material underneath. A few pictures would help us confirm either way.
The link below gives a bit of info on the Cotswold roof slates :

http://www.tewkesbury.gov.uk/media/pdf/g/1/Slate_Roofing_.pdf

Thanks for that, DAZB, I'll get some photos posted soon as the rain stops....
If I were to get a repoint done by a professional, what ball park price should I be looking at (weed out the cowboys!!). It's a mid terrace 3 bed in Gloucester.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to cost as some roofers will charge a premium just to cover the fact that a fair few tiles may break getting access to the ridge. I can only recommend getting 2 or 3 reputable firms to quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back