Ridiculous costs for electrican's work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice please.

We have recently bought a property and are having some major renovation work done. We aren't living in the house as we're having a new loft conversion, bathrooms, extension & kitchen, so the whole place has been gutted. We are temporarily living around 30 miles from site.

We were quoted £4,500 for electrical work and it was listed in the spec the work to be undertaken. We're still in the preliminary stages and to our surprise, the electrical switches & sockets have been done first (new brushed chrome ones!). Is this normal practice? However, this isn't my main issue, but I'm mentioning it as this I guess is when the initial alarm bells started ringing.

A few more bits & pieces of wiring were apparently done, before we were told that the electrician needed to do a complete re-wire of the house. We have been been given an ESTIMATE for this of a further £2,600 + £500 max to put walls right. We thought this would have been something spotted initially by the electrician and factored in to our original quote. However, our builder did the original quote and then got the electrician on board to carry out the work, who has apparently himself just discovered this, at this later stage. Although the consumer unit was new when we bought the house, it may have been assumed that all wiring was too. The house was built in 1969. We have spoken to an electrician whom we know to get a professional opinion and he can't understand why a) the electrician did not run an initial test to ascertain that re-wiring was needed first of all, prior to any other work being carried out and b) why he is fitting light switches & sockets first (although this second point has become slightly irrelevant since discovering the re-wiring situation).

We asked the builder why the re-wiring wasn't initially discovered and the response was a blunt : "there is no way I would have known, I do not not have x-ray vision through walls, it's only when you work on a house you discover these things". He got extremely defensive and missed the point that we were actually referring more to the electrician's work more than anything. He also turned it around by saying "you said yourself that the consumer unit was new when you bought the house" as if I am an expert and this was a justifiable reason!

The issue is, I don't think I can argue that the £4,500 for electrical work should soak up the re-wiring costs as re-wiring is not in the agreed spec, as they keep pointing out. However, I do not know what they have done for £4,500 in the first place, if they are then adding on £2,600 estimate for re-wiring!

I then asked for a cost breakdown for the re-wiring costs, so I could see what was being done for the extra money. I was bullied into agreeing to the re-wiring job first as the electrician was onsite Monday to do a 'few bits & pieces' and I was led to believe he would also start the re-wiring then, even though we only found out about the re-wiring costs on Saturday (2 days before)!! I have asked 5 times for a breakdown (this is all been recorded by email) but my requests are being ignored.

Oh, and if this is needs to get more complicated, the builder is FAMILY. We are now realising we have been lured into a false sense of security with him. Conversations at the start were 'don't worry about this and that, we can sort that out, we're family etc', now he's playing hardball, quoting the spec and the contract left, right & centre, and all these extra costs are being thrown at us without any back-up. He is being extremely cagey and in some cases aggressive about things, as he knows he's not doing things right by us. We have been told that he is getting "p***ed off" with us apparently micro-managing them, when I think all we've wanted is just a standard level of communication and clarity on what extra is being done as it has a financial impact on us. We are feeling like mugs because of it, even though normally we're not gullible people, but feel we're being taken for a ride by our own flesh & blood, and it's a huge breach of trust. It goes without saying this has been one of the worst period of our lives, so very stressful and as we're not on site it makes things even worse. Their communications skills are abysmal. We feel to much of an extent, helpless. Of course we agreed a cheap cost (yet still 6 figures!), however they asked us if we wanted them to do it, not the either way round, and we were getting 'family rates'. Now there's all these extra costs with no justification, and now we're paying for not being more savvy at the start. But then we would have been accused of not trusting them 'as family' if that was the case, so you can't win! So, you could say we feel rather scuppered. If we tell them where to go, we will NEVER get the work completed with the budget we have.

There are a million things we're not happy with, and I could be on here forever further digressing from my initial question, so if anyone advise on this scenario with electrical costs, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The prices could be far too much, too cheap or about right - impossible to know without a lot more information.
The existing installation would be assessed prior to any price being given, unless it was obviously so far gone that total replacement would be the only option.

Assuming all is well just because the consumer unit is new is pure folly, particularly in a property you have no history of. Although cables concealed in walls can't be inspected easily, removing a selection of sockets or switches is quick and easy, as is unscrewing a couple of ceiling roses and removing the cover of the consumer unit to look inside. Depending on what is found it may be desirable to do a few tests, or investigate further.

For unoccupied property, items such as switches, sockets etc. would be fitted as late as possible, after all building work, plastering and decoration had been completed. Otherwise there is a very high chance of them being damaged.

Thanks for your response. We were given a quote of £4,500 by the builder for the electrics at the start (as part of the overall work) - the breakdown mentioned nothing about re-wiring. He then hired an electrician to carry out the work. Said electrician started doing the work, including changing at least a dozen or so sockets & switches. No re-wiring issues known at this point. We were then told that a complete re-wiring was required, at an additional £2,600 (min) cost, due to what were we told were "dodgy" wires found under one of the floorboards upstairs.

So, based on what you're saying for instance, could we perhaps argue that the existing installation was not adequately assessed at the start as the builder didn't include a re-wire? And it sounds like the electrician should have known a re-wire was needed WHEN removing a selection of sockets or switches (and presuming removing the cover of the consumer unit to look inside is the first job an electrician carries out to determine this??). Don't forget he'd already replaced the majority of sockets & switches upstairs & downstairs BEFORE he apparently realised about the need to re-wire.

The question is, as I'm a layman, does this like sound normal or acceptable practice to a trade expert? Or could it be that we might be having the wool pulled over our eyes?

Its hard to comment when we don't know the ins and outs in full and not enough information but for £4500 I would be expecting a near full rewire.

I would at this point bite the bullet and get another spark in to give you a price you at least have a comparison (even if you have to pay a few hours labour for him it will put your mind at rest). Try with all your might to avoid telling the spark about the issues as best you can.

Go with your instincts they are obviously telling you this isn't right. As for the family side, if they are true family they wouldn't of put you in this situation in the first place and if it all breaks down they will forgive you if they truly class themselves as family.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Worry about the detail of why the electrician wants to re-wire the house. On what basis?! It used to be because the rubber insulation failed, but not the case any more with PVC. Or if you want loads of extra loads putting in there and the wiring is inadequate CSA then that's a different thing

Nozzle

why not get a test / report done on the existing installation by another sparks for your peace of mind. I would atleast expect to be told the reasons behind the required extra work and not just be told it just needs to be done.

Its hard to comment when we don't know the ins and outs in full and not enough information but for £4500 I would be expecting a near full rewire.

I would at this point bite the bullet and get another spark in to give you a price you at least have a comparison (even if you have to pay a few hours labour for him it will put your mind at rest). Try with all your might to avoid telling the spark about the issues as best you can.

Good luck

Good advice apart from keeping details from your new sparks, he will smell a rat, and may jump to the wrong conclusion.

OP: Be frank, explain your worries, and expect to pay him for an assessment, as opposed to having him feel he is belong conned into providing what he thinks is a quote, but which is a actually a clarification of others charges.

Some guys may agree to the job - others won't, but don't take it personal.

FWIW I think you are being stitched up. As I think you mentioned, if a full rewire is being charged at £2.5K what on earth was the £4.5K for?

Assuming we have all the facts of course.

havent read it all but

is the builder running the show and taking responsibility for the electrician and possibly getting a mark up ??

I think OP is being stitched up. I have recently had a full rewire on a 3 bed detached house - including the wiring in garden and garage and that was less than £4k - Devon. If the property is being rewired, the sockets are done as a second fix not the first.

Get some more detail about the bad wiring. This will be on a power circuit or a lighting circuit. It doesn't mean the whole system needs to come out. Find out which circuit had bad wirings and see what he says.

Also to help you work out costs ask the builder what his daily rate is (and the sparky). You can then work out what should cost what based on the time they are working. I do all my own work on house renovations, but use day rate contractors if i need more help. My sparky changes £120 a day and that is cheap. A more normal sparky day rate is about £200 a day. To rewire a semi 3 bed it takes me and him 5 days work. If he is on his own it will take approx 7/8 days. So a typical labour cost will be £1400-1600 for a rewire. Then you can add in all the material costs. Rolls of 100m power cable cost £50 approx. You may need 2 for a std 3 bed semi. Then you have lighting cable, sockets and switches and pendants etc. I am just rewiring a 3 bed semi and it will cost £800 all in (very cheap i know)

Your description makes me think the sparky has decided to replace all the wiring to the new (EU) colour scheme (Brown/Blue/Green with yellow trace). House built in '69 should have PVC insulation (take a plug socket off the wall and check - PVC of that era will be uncracked and shiney; rubber will be cracked and dull; in either case coulours are Red/Black/Green); it isn't needed and there are defined practises to extend old wiring with new colours.
Methinks you are being taken for an expensive ride...

W

Typical problems employing family I'm afraid. The builder was negligent in just accepting that a new consumer unit implied the wiring was up to scratch, and should have got it assesed and then specified exactly what the £4,500 entailed. The sparky was negligent in not assessing the wiring when starting the job, and why was he fitting the sockets and switches so early - it brings in to question his competence, and I'd be inclined to check his credentials.

You're going to need to sit down with the builder, and tell him you feel you're being ripped off, and although you don't want ruin the family relationship, it'll be both your faults if you can't sort it out amicably. As others have said before, although we don't know the size of the job, £2.6K should have dealt with the rewire AND all the fittings required, so where's the justification for the £4.5K. If the guy can't justify it, then you shouldn't consider paying it, and either deal with the sparky direct, or from the way he's acted so far, get another one. And if the builders playing hardball and quoting the contract, just tell him you'll put it in the hands of your solicitor.

Be prepared to fight this, and to kick him off the job if he can't justify his spec etc.

Can't see a qualified electrician fitting finished switches etc first.

I wonder if they've been fitted by builders to try to save electrician costs and more money for builder.. bit skeptical me though

Sponsored Links
Back