Right pi$$ed off!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to go out this morning started car and thought bummer exhausts blowing a bit, well quite a bit.

Raining so left it until rain stopped and then looked underneath and thought pipe has cracked and was hanging down. Jacked it up and had a good look, exhaust had a bit around 2 foot missing, and neat cuts from using a pipe cutter. Someone had only pinched the cat from it!!

Might not have been quite so surprised if it was a reasonably new car but a 2002 Peugeot 406. Really made my day!

Sponsored Links
Hells bells mate, I'd move further north.......all we get are holes drilled into our fuel tanks to nick the diesel :eek:
Seriously, that's bloody ridiculous. The cat can't be worth that much anyway, surely?
John :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Mean nasty b******s. A few quid for them, and a load of expense and grief for you. We should bring back "the cat" in this country for these sort of crimes.

Essex ****** strike again. :mad:

From Wikipedia - The catalyst itself is most often a mix of precious metals. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used, but is not suitable for all applications because of unwanted additional reactions and high cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals used. Rhodium is used as a reduction catalyst, palladium is used as an oxidation catalyst, and platinum is used both for reduction and oxidation. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used, although each has limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union because of its reaction with carbon monoxide into toxic nickel tetracarbonyl. Copper can be used everywhere except North America, where its use is illegal because of the formation of toxic dioxin.

Son -in-law has his brand new pickup attacked while it was in repair shop, cut it but did not have time to remove but unable to get a good weld on it due to poor access so left with a leaking exhaust. :(

Put this through insurance company and got a text this morning saying repairers quote was accepted.

So I phoned repairer this afternoon to see when I should be getting vehicle back. Ah problem the vehicle needs a genuine exhaust and they wont be available until end of October. Bit non believing phoned local Peugeot dealer who confirmed they will not be available at earliest until 21st October!!

Phoned insurance company who confirmed repairs had been authorised they also told me how much.

Now just out of interest anybody want to have a guess? Sensible answers please! Remember this is a 2002 Peugeot 406 estate so 14 years old.

more then that, :D
Yes just a tad more than that at £1182.

Genuine bit from Peugeot is £800 + VAT, from a merchants a mere £120. No wonder main dealers have earned the 'stealer's' reputation.

P.S. Just been informed price has gone up and vehicle has been declared a total loss!

more then that, :D
Yes just a tad more than that at £1182.

Genuine bit from Peugeot is £800 + VAT, from a merchants a mere £120. No wonder main dealers have earned the 'stealer's' reputation.

P.S. Just been informed price has gone up and vehicle has been declared a total loss!

£1182 :eek:

If the vehicle is a good one and you want to keep it, you could buy it back from the insurers and fir a pattern part to the exhaust. Although, as I understand it, any non OE part has to be type approved if it's the cat.

Yep I've heard of this happening.

Absolute scum of society!

Have you tried motor hog for a secondhand one?

Tom

Sponsored Links
Back