Rigid insulation and wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice. I've built an outbuilding that has insulated cavity walls, and I now want to insulate the (pitched) ceiling between the rafters with celotex - then plaster board over that. On top of the rafters I have a breathable membrane, then battens and tiles. Under the membrane I believe I need to leave an air gap. However, there's going to be wiring running around the building, lighting and sockets etc. (I'm going to use an electrician) My question is this: Do I employ the electrician first - so that the wiring runs in the air gap, or do I fit the celotex first, leaving 50mm or so, enabling the electrician to then run the wiring under the celotex - and then plasterboard over that?

Sponsored Links
Get the electrician in first, inform them of your intention. As the cable may need thermal insulation calculation if it is routed through the insulation at any point.

sparky first and like you said ,get him to run wires in top 50mm so you dont have to cut the insulation more than you need too,as its a pain in the arse and i always cough my guts up cutting that crap

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice. I'll ring the electrician today. I was hoping it would be underneath - to delay the inevitable 'hand in the pocket!'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back