rigid ponds - opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get a rigid pond to replace the torn liner that's currently leaking in the back garden. Are rigid liners any good? There's a plastic one that I've spotted that has the right dimensions to fit the hole I have, it's the BLAGDON DAMSEL FLY 1250 LITRES. Any opinions on it?

Also if a rigid plastic liner were to get a hole in it, how would you repair it? Is there a method, or will it be useless.
And while I'm asking how thick are the preformed plastic liners and how heavy would one that is about 2.5x.5m be?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't buy a rigid pond liner. Plastic, definitely not. Fibreglass formed, maybe. Fibreglass wont crack if impacted on, it will just make a hole. Plastic "tears" and will have a long crack in it, unrepairable.

Also, with any rigid liner, you have to get the hole just right for it to sit in - any pressure points will reduce the life of the liner or cause it to crack when you fill it. Butyl liners will mould to the hole when you fill it.

Butyl - you can have whatever size / shape pond you want

If you really want to push the boat out, have a fibreglass resin lined concrete pond built ;)

A rigid fibre glass one would be better than a rigid plastic one, at least the fibreglass can be repaired if you damage it. My pond is rendered blockwork that has been direct fibreglassed almost bombproof :D

Jason

Sponsored Links
Why am I not surprised that jasonb's pond looks fantastic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back