ring and radial mods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After some advice from the forum experts with regard to removing an existing socket from a ring final circuit and extending a radial circuit.

Busy completely redoing a bedroom. It only has two double sockets in it now, so i wanted to add 4 more double sockets as you always seem to need more. The two existing sockets are on different circuits which i don't like.

The first double socket in the room is on a radial circuit with only two (second socket is in the room next door) double sockets on the circuit. It is protected by a 30A breaker and was previously using 4mm2 multi-threaded cable. Some idiot had stripped some off the PVC insulation from the cable to make an earth point (no longer used) in the loft. As the cable was damaged i replaced part of it with 2.5mm2 and used a 30A junction box to join the 2.5mm2 to the 4mm2. The junction box is in the loft, on top of the 270mm of mineral wool insulation. I believe due to the use of the 2.5mm2 cable, i need to swap the breaker to a 20A.

So my first question is, have i done right with the 30A junction box?
My second question is, am i right about swapping the breaker?

The second double socket in the room is on a ring final circuit. This circuit covers 3 rooms with about 10 sockets. I want to remove this socket from the ring final circuit and move it over to the radial. Thus keeping all the sockets in that room on the same circuit. My thoughts for this are to pull the two cables going into the socket back down into the void under the floor and use a 30A junction box to join them. I've seen comments about junction boxes need to accessible, which under a floor definitely isn't!

So my third question is, how can i remove this socket from the ring final circuit? Seems i need either an accessible junction box, or a blank on the existing socket and put second socket along side?

I plan to extend the radial circuit around the room from where it is now in one corner, adding 4 brand new sockets, and the converted ring final socket to give me 6 double sockets in the room. The room is about 4x3m so 12m2 in total. I believe this is well within the limits for floor area for a radial circuit. I'm planning to use 2.5mm2 twin and earth to do it with. The radial will have 7 double sockets on it, and be protected by a 20A breaker when the job is complete.

Forth question, is there anything I've missed in my plan?

In the future i might extend the radial again in the room next door (where the other socket on the circuit is) adding probably another 3 doubles. This room is also 3x4m. It would take my total socket count to 10.

Fifth question, would this take me beyond the allowable floor area?
Sixth, would it make the radial circuit too big?
Seventh, with this added length, sockets and load mean i should be building it out of 4mm2 cable to start with and keep the 30A breaker?

Eighth and final question. From what I've read of the part P regs, i believe i can DIY all this work without having to tell the local planning office. This is because its modifying existing circuits, and not in a special area. Am i right?

Sorry about the number of questions. Surprised myself with the number of things i thought I'd ask in doing this.

Cheers for any advice offered!

Sponsored Links
To answer some of my own questions.

I think I'll replace the bit of 2.5mm2 cable repairing the 4mm2 cable, so its all 4mm2 again. then i can keep the breaker as is. I'll use 4mm2 to complete the rest of the work too as that gives me a good overhead for load etc.

the junction box in the loft is ok as it is accessible, so meets the 17th edition for junction boxes.

for the cable joint under the floor, as i don't want to do odd things with easily lift-able sections of carpets and floor boards etc or have a blank socket on the wall for an accessible junction to meet the 17th edition stuff. i therefore need to use a maintenance free junction box. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Hager/JB_Guide.pdf was fairly helpful in explaining. obtaining these type of junction boxes doesn't seem too easy yet, but http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Junction_Boxes/ has some.

still not sure about floor area for this radial circuit, or if I'm putting too many double sockets on it. a confirmation on the part p stuff would be good too.

anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back