Radial to ring - simple for all you pro's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry for what is a very novice question but I've been reading through loads of posts and can't find anything similar. :oops:

I've just bought a new house and the lounge has no lights. My challenge for the weekend (more likely next 6 months) is to put some in. The lounge currently has a light switch which operates a 10A radial circuit with 3 double sockets on it. The lounge also has two other radial circuits with one double socket on each. These are both 15A. All of the existing radial circuits are using 2.5mm T.E. cable.

My plan was as follows:

Pull the existing wiring from the switch thorugh to the upstairs floor and join the two ends with a junction box. This removes the switch from my existing radial circuit.

Then run a new length of 2.5mm T.E. between the last socket on the old switched radial and one of the other sockets on another radial circuit. Hence creating a ring. Replace the 15A and 10A MCBs on the CU with one 30A MCB and join both the ends of the ring to that. (This leaves me with a downstairs ring at 30A using 2.5mm t.E and an extra 15A radial circuit with one socket on it).

Now add a junction box to the existing 5A downstairs lighting circuit and run the lounge spur from that. Run two 1.5mm T.E cables back to the switch for the double dimmer switch the mrs. wants. (the lounge is going to have two ceiling lights in it)

Now the question is does this all sound like it's the right way to go about things and does it meet all the regulations? I'm assuming I'm not allowed to simply upgrade the MCB on the old switched lighting circuit and use it for normal power (TV, video etc.) hence the first bit. Please tell me if I'm making things way too complicated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm curious, why do you think you have 3 radial circuits for your lounge, how have you determined this ? Unless you make sure you have found both ends then you are not forming a ring final circuit in the truest sense.
By switch do you mean a switched FCU ?
As for the lack of lighting in your lounge you could spur off the existing
lighting circuit from an adjacent room (ceiling rose) See the reference post from Breezer for wiring diagrams

What MCB'S does your CU contain at present ?

I assumed I have three radial circuits in the lounge because the double sockets are regulated by threee different MCBs on the CU. (2 x 15A and 1x 10A). When I removed the face plates from each there are three that only have one set of wires attached.

By switch I mean light switch. The normal kind you get. nothing special just a light switch. Sorry if this doesn't answer the question. I don't know what a FCU is.

I'll get ack to oyu about the MCB. Will have to go and check.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That sounds like someone was using stand lamps in their lounge and that is what these sockets powered, if not they were just a bodging goit!

If the sockets are exactly as you believe tham to be, then there is nothing wrong with what you propose, so long as you ensure all sockets are linked up to create a true ring.

The other alternative, which is just as acceptable once the switch has been removed, is to change the existing MCB's for 20A Type B MCB's on each of the circuit and simply use them as radials. There is nothing electrically wrong with this and the circuits will still comply with the Regulations..so long as they are not 50 meters plus in length of course :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back