ring and radial query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought house which has a single cable running from main fuse box to a separate fuse box which in turn runs a ring main of sockets. I think this should be converted to a ring running off the main box and do away with the second fuse box. If it's ok to leave as is then what cable size should the "spur" between the fuse boxes be? and what rating should the breakers be?

Sponsored Links
What size fuse in the first fuse box protects the wiring to the second fuse box? (Or is the cable just tapped into the main incoming terminals?)

its running off a 32A mcb in the main box. Thing is the ring has 13 double sockets on it. seems to me there's a risk of overheating.

You can have as many sockets as you like on a ring circuit, assuming everything else about it is as it should be.

It's strange the ring isn't wired directly into the first fuse box. Perhaps the second box provides RCD protection.

I would expect to see the cable feeding the second box to be at least 4 mm. Or 6 mm.

PICTURES can be sent, if in doubt.

Sponsored Links
The second box contains a 32A mcb also. Due to locations etc it would be an easy job to remove the second box and turn it into a ring from the main box. Would you recommend this is done?

I would recommend you check you have RCD protection on the socket circuit before you do anything. There must be a reason it was wired in this way, I'd have thought...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back