Ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May seem a bit of an odd question but here goes - is it allowable to run a cable through a knock out box - i.e. not actually connected to an outlet (although the outlet will be connected to a separate cable)? Ultimately the two cables will be part of the same circuit, it's just that the routing of the circuit is currently from the corner of a room with the ring splitting two ways and being joined by a cable pinned below work surface level. Due to the exact fit of a new kitchen we do not want cables visible/pinned below work surface level. By routing cable through a knock out it would make things a lot easier.
Tks in advance.

Sponsored Links
as long as there is enough room theres no problem with doing it.

Though if the threads in the box ever get really snarled up and the box needs replaceing, someone would be cursing you :LOL:

Yes, do it where its the only real option, but try and shy away from doing so in most cases if possible

Sponsored Links
May have another solution and would appreciate your advice.

Is it allowable to place cable within surface mounted trunking but with the trunking flush with the wall i.e. sunk into it. (The trunking I am thinking of has clip on capping). Obviously this would not be plastered over.

You could do that but bear in mind the plaster edge will break away the first time the cover is removed. Why would you need trunking. Conduit with a box either end?

Tks pensdown, there will be an elbow in the cabling going from above work surface to below for a fused connection to hob ignition. The clearance behind base units is tight.

moosehead said:
Is it allowable to place cable within surface mounted trunking but with the trunking flush with the wall i.e. sunk into it. (The trunking I am thinking of has clip on capping). Obviously this would not be plastered over.

There's no guarrantee that it wont be obscured by wallpaper / paint / tiles in future. My advice would be only to do this where the cable is in zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back