Rising Damp/Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1950's back to back terrace and it has bay area window area (flat roof) in the living room, late last year I discovered that the guttering was blocked which caused water to run directly down the outside wall. As a result water seemed to seep through which caused the paintwork to become all blown/cracked/bubbled. I stripped it back and glossed over to cover water marks but paint work has cracked and flaked off too.

To add to my problems in the bedroom directly above the bay area window it appears I have rising damp as small black mould spots are appearing directly under the window and skirting boards have cracked from wall, I also have what appears to be salt crystals on a different part of the wall which the outside wall has a pipe from bathroom running past. Which in heavy rain it looks like rains runs directly down the wall.

I am looking at pointing the brickwork on the outside of the house but not sure where to go or what to do or how to deal with this damp.

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated with estimated costs too. Would prefer to try sort as much as I can myself it at all possible

Sponsored Links
When did you replace the guttering? The downpipe might be cracked, blocked or rusted

If the window has a flat roof on it it may also be leaking, or perhaps it is the flashing.

You have to cure the rainwater faults. It is not rising damp in the upstairs bedroom. You have to leave it a year or so after curing the water ingress before the wall will be fully dry. Until then you can replaster and use matt emulsion paint. If you put gloss paint on a wet surface it will come off.

The crystals are efflorescence - mineral salts dissolved in the water. Fix the water and in a few months it will stop.

Thanks for the reply I didn't replace guttering, I just repaired it as it was blocked, need to have a closer look at the downpipe but only see water running down the wall when it rains heavily. Flashing was also sorted out on the flat roof of the bay area window.

The black spots are more than likely not damp but rather are probably as a result of condensation. This can be cured by better ventilation of the room and some insulation fitted on the cold wall.

Sponsored Links
as the damp appears to be at about floor level, in the upstairs room adjacent to a flat roof over a bay, and there seems to be a history of water gushing from gutters and downpipes, I think this time the damp is more likely coming through the wet wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back