rising damp in the corner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have a bad rising damp problem in the corner of my kitchen. ive ensured theres nothing on the outside wall that would account for this, and i tried dryzone but that hasnt fixed the problem. the inside floor is solid and quarry tiled (being 80 years old).

as an amateur with the time, but not the money, i intend to cure this myself, what would be the best way to solve this problem?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
How do you know that its "rising" damp?

Why not post pics of the interior and the exterior, and more details?

If you look at the bottom of this page you will see "Similar Topics" - it would help you to read them.

How do you know that its "rising" damp?

Why not post pics of the interior and the exterior, and more details?

nothing else it could be, roofs ok, no leakes from pipes they are all in order and are not close. it is rising damp, i know what it is! :)

Sponsored Links
If you look at the bottom of this page you will see "Similar Topics" - it would help you to read them.

thanks for pointing them out, i hadnt seen them.

it has given me some indicators, the outer mortar is eroded and could be pointed up. but i dont want to do that if theres more to be done.... maybe remove the mortar back to 'sound'? do i just re-point with ordinary mortar?

"It is rising damp, i know what it is!" How about penetrating damp, or interior condensation, or interstitial condensation?

"nothing else it could be" but you are now asking for advice about pointing?

You were pointed in the direction of Similar Topics and came back 12 mins later claiming "it has given me some indicators" (whatever "it" is) when there was a couple of hours of reading available.

"It is rising damp, i know what it is!" How about penetrating damp, or interior condensation, or interstitial condensation?

"nothing else it could be" but you are now asking for advice about pointing?

You were pointed in the direction of Similar Topics and came back 12 mins later claiming "it has given me some indicators" (whatever "it" is) when there was a couple of hours of reading available.

because i know what penetrating damp and condensation is. i know what rising damp is.

please... stop arguing with me, i know what it is, but not how best to treat it, nor do i know about pointing.

2 hours to read 5 threads?... :D

There are fifty odd OP's and replies and each Similar Topic has further Similar Topics at the foot of the page.

What is the compass orientation of the affected corner?
Is the corner sheltered or exposed?
Is the wall solid (how thick from outside to inside finish) or cavity (what size cavity)?
Cavity moisture bridge check carried out?
Any cavity insulation (what type)?
Rendering or cladding to outside wall. Painted or bare surfaces outside?
How far is the DPC above the outside ground surface?
What type(s) of DPC, and when installed?
How close to internal floor level is DPC? DPM beneath quarry tiles? Underfloor heating?
Standard Brick or Brick and Cinder block construction (wall plugs not easy to fix because drill wanders once through the wall finish, dark grey or black dust) inside?
Is the wall plastered (lime? or gypsum?), dry lined with gypsum skim, or rendered with a cement mortar?
Is the wall finish uniform around the kitchen, or is the corner patched differently to the adjacent wall surface?
Skirting boards or finished to floor level?
Is the damp area normally behind units or furniture?
What is the decorative finish (if any) of the affected area?
Has any attempt been made to expose the brickwork behind the damp area to determine if the structure also is damp? (should have been exposed to apply Dryzone in a mortar course - was Dryzone applied at the recommended depths and intervals?)
Is the original construction mortar lime/sand or sand/cement? Pointing outside same as mortar or cement/sand on lime mortar courses?
Is there any water pipework in the wall or floor in the vicinity?
Has there been a flood (like washing machine overflow or other cause) in the past year?
Is there a "Tide Mark" of a different colour at the boundary edge of the damp area?
Is there a salt concentration band below the boundary edge of the damp area (conductivity meter readings)? Any efflorescence?
Have damp readings been taken of the wall from floor level at 200mm intervals to at least 500mm above the damp area, and to either side of the apparently damp area?

There is no way to tell if the damp is rising, penetrating or condensation just by observation. If there has been rising damp that has been cured in the past, without replastering the wall in the same type of plaster as the original finish, there may be continuing condensation problems.

Here's Dryzone's own comprehensive leaflet to check yourself:

http://static.dryzone.eu/sites/dryzone/theme/pdfs/datasheets/rising-damp-en.pdf

we had what we thought was rising damp in a corner. but on further investigation it turned out that there was a 'hole' in the cavity insulation, which created a cold spot and the 'rising damp' was actually condensation. We filled the cavity with polystyrene pellets.

If it is really rising damp you need to install a damp course - search for info about that.

What is the compass orientation of the affected corner?
Is the corner sheltered or exposed?
Is the wall solid (how thick from outside to inside finish) or cavity (what size cavity)?
Cavity moisture bridge check carried out?
Any cavity insulation (what type)?
Rendering or cladding to outside wall. Painted or bare surfaces outside?
How far is the DPC above the outside ground surface?
What type(s) of DPC, and when installed?
How close to internal floor level is DPC? DPM beneath quarry tiles? Underfloor heating?
Standard Brick or Brick and Cinder block construction (wall plugs not easy to fix because drill wanders once through the wall finish, dark grey or black dust) inside?
Is the wall plastered (lime? or gypsum?), dry lined with gypsum skim, or rendered with a cement mortar?
Is the wall finish uniform around the kitchen, or is the corner patched differently to the adjacent wall surface?
Skirting boards or finished to floor level?
Is the damp area normally behind units or furniture?
What is the decorative finish (if any) of the affected area?
Has any attempt been made to expose the brickwork behind the damp area to determine if the structure also is damp? (should have been exposed to apply Dryzone in a mortar course - was Dryzone applied at the recommended depths and intervals?)
Is the original construction mortar lime/sand or sand/cement? Pointing outside same as mortar or cement/sand on lime mortar courses?
Is there any water pipework in the wall or floor in the vicinity?
Has there been a flood (like washing machine overflow or other cause) in the past year?
Is there a "Tide Mark" of a different colour at the boundary edge of the damp area?
Is there a salt concentration band below the boundary edge of the damp area (conductivity meter readings)? Any efflorescence?
Have damp readings been taken of the wall from floor level at 200mm intervals to at least 500mm above the damp area, and to either side of the apparently damp area?

There is no way to tell if the damp is rising, penetrating or condensation just by observation. If there has been rising damp that has been cured in the past, without replastering the wall in the same type of plaster as the original finish, there may be continuing condensation problems.

Here's Dryzone's own comprehensive leaflet to check yourself:

http://static.dryzone.eu/sites/dryzone/theme/pdfs/datasheets/rising-damp-en.pdf[/QUOTE]

northeast
exposed
solid 2 brick depth
no cavity
no cwi
rendering on one side above the damp course
6"
1928, double row of blue bricks, assume nothing else.
below quarry tiles, floor raised above path. no idea whats under the quarry tiles
no underfloor heating
standard red brick
removed plaster, it was wet, bare brick now, even around the room
no skirting
no units, been exposed for 2 years, refuses to dry out but less wet in dry summer.
exposed
measured recomended intervals, but the drill might not have been long enough.
think its sand/cement (assumed so, dont know what lime/mortar looks like, assume its for thatched/old buildings)
pipes are a metre away, walls dry behind pipes, no pipes by affected area
no flood
yes to tide mark,
yes to salts
no damp readings, the bricks are damp and mouldy, others are dry and clean.

cant be penetrating, that comes via a fault in the drainage system/waterproofing the house. cant be condensation as its to local and nowhere else has it. pictures online strongly suggest it is rising damp, plus when its dry outside there often a damp patch on the concrete path, matching a smaller one inside on the quarry tiles.

thanks for your detailed reply, appreciated.

nothing else it could be, roofs ok, no leakes from pipes they are all in order and are not close. it is rising damp, i know what it is! :)

Are you sure?

very interesting... but proves nothing.

those first two vids proved that those properties didnt have rising damp. they also proved that the meter for diagnosing it was wrong.

but if rising damp didnt exist, then injecting walls would have no effect...and after 50 odd years of many houses being injected, dont you think someone would have though 'its not working' by now? lol.

my damp course is well clear of the path, theres no bridging, nor is there splashing from rain (but if there was how does it get inside the house if according to those vids it only effects the surface?). the walls do not get wet from anywhere else, thats the first thing i checked. the walls are bare, in the corner they are very wet, mouldy, and have been exposed to the air with nothing in front for two years now, so cant see it being condensation... ill drill into the mortar/brick and see if thats wet or dry...

hmmm.... ok, i might be wrong, im not so sure now.

ive drilled into the infected area and the wall appears dry under the surface, thats one thing ive learned off those vids...

but it still begs the question that if rising damp is a myth, why has nobody noticed injection doesnt work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back