RISING DAMP

there_are_none_so_blind_as_those_who_will_not_see_postcard-r0501cc4fa70846bda80e87da3a12320e_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Sponsored Links
And the gullible will remain just that. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You mean like reporters like that Howell chap? He makes a good living pretending that climate change doesn't exist. Oh sorry, make that rising damp doesn't exist. The gullible will always be gullible. :rolleyes:

You mean like reporters like that Howell chap? He makes a good living pretending that climate change doesn't exist. Oh sorry, make that rising damp doesn't exist. The gullible will always be gullible. :rolleyes:

The only gullible people I have seen on this subject are those who have paid out hundreds sometimes thousands of £'s to have what they don't have cured.

tada.jpg

Been to many dozens of properties with damp problems, never once found rising damp, always caused by other problems.

Well, I'm sure that's conclusive proof that rising damp doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

Great, so you have proof that it does exist then, go on show us the proof, go on. :rolleyes:

I don't know what you do for a living but I hope it's not building work.

So, no proof then, just an insult. :rolleyes:

What I don't do for a living is con money out of gullible people.

Do you cure (non existent) rising damp? Do you make a good living from it?

Stephen Boniface, former chairman of the construction arm of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), has told the institute’s 40,000 members that ‘true rising damp’ is a myth and chemically injected damp-proof courses (DPC) are ‘a complete waste of money’.

so ill ask the question again to all and sundry,
if rising damp doesnt exist then WTF do we install dpc/dpm in brickwork and floors for.
from what im reading this alone is a waste of time and money,so who has the long con?

now im not saying that there is an abundance of other causes that manifest itself and the rouges con the general public,but once you have eliminated all other possibilities and the wall is still damp,THEN WHAT IS THE CAUSE?

in my early years i have worked in the preservation industry and have seen a manner of all things done,some bad and some very good and some bloody ridiculous.

Do you cure (non existent) rising damp? Do you make a good living from it?

Every now and then, someone writes an article, or gives a talk, or presents a tv program, which attempts to refute some well-established fact. For example, they might argue that 'dieting is bad for you', or 'smoking 50 cigs a day does no harm', or 'aliens from Mars have infiltrated the government'.

They do this partly to initiate controversy and partly to draw attention to themselves. The problem is that some people get swept along by these potty ideas.

The 'rising-damp-is-a-myth' nonsense comes into this category.

It is basic science that building materials, being porous, absorb moisture by capillary attraction, hence rising damp. Are you suggesting that we do away with dpcs in buildings? If so, I've never heard of such a ridiculous and retrograde idea.

Rising damp has been misdiagnosed a lot over the years by companies making a quick buck. It does not mean that it never exists.
You can't really prove or disprove it on a forum.
I've had damp rise up an internal wall when a pipe in the floor was leaking.

It is possible that rising damp does exist.

It is also possible that:
God exists
Loch Ness Monster exists
An honest politician exists
Fairies exist

When I was a young kid I believed in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy.

:LOL:

Discounting the Loch Ness Monster and honest politicians, spiritual and religious matters have no relevance to an argument about basic science.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back