Rocks

Only bit of rock or stone I've ever brought home was a little bit of the wailing wall that I picked up from the bottom of it. Whenever I go away I can't resist freebies from the room. I have to get them past Mrs Mottie as we are leaving though otherwise she puts 'em back. I don't know why I do it - I brought two small bottles of complimentary wine home from the room we had last weekend. Had one of 'em already. :mrgreen:

View attachment 267526 View attachment 267527
And transam thought it was just a Romanian problem.

Sponsored Links
I brought home a cube shaped bit of rock which I borrowed from a famous bridge in Prague.

it’s sitting on my bookshelf

Sponsored Links
Only bit of rock or stone I've ever brought home was a little bit of the wailing wall that I picked up from the bottom of it. Whenever I go away I can't resist freebies from the room. I have to get them past Mrs Mottie as we are leaving though otherwise she puts 'em back. I don't know why I do it - I brought two small bottles of complimentary wine home from the room we had last weekend. Had one of 'em already. :mrgreen:

View attachment 267526 View attachment 267527

The threads about Rocks not shampoo.

The threads about Rocks not shampoo.
CDA792A4-9373-43C8-88E5-F4AE5A90AE67.jpeg

Yeah, I got rocks. A chunk of obsidian from Iceland may be a favourite. Peacock ore is very pretty. Fluorescent minerals are cool, get to the Sterling Hill mine if you ever can (NJ) Take a UV-B/C lamp if you can. Leds are working at shorter wavelengths now.
Gold is quite cool too, you can pan for it or scrape around for it in a lot of places. Tiny amounts but under a magnifier it's amazing. Definitely a bug.
Places around Africa and China there are loads of semi-precious as well as precious mines like amethyst and sapphire. If you're in the area and you make it known you're interested, someone will know someone....... who will turn up with a bag full.
Meteorites are a little bit fascinating. If you get something that's come in from the Oort cloud, that's half way to Alpha Centauri... a trillion miles away. More likely from just beyond Mars but hey..

I'm quite happy to go to a local beach and pick up a few 'homegrown' pebbles of different shapes and colours.
We have some broken ones which show multi layers of different colours so I presume these may have been formed at different times of it's formation.

I'm quite happy to go to a local beach and pick up a few 'homegrown' pebbles of different shapes and colours.
We have some broken ones which show multi layers of different colours so I presume these may have been formed at different times of it's formation.
Sedimentary rock - one sediment on top of another - ash, maybe. Iridium if it's from the big meteor!
metamorphic - crystallization at specific temperatures
water/carbonates going into cracks can give a white stripe, etc...
Also humbugs and liquorice allsorts.

I'll do rocks in my next life.

Sponsored Links
Back