Rogue earth wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I was shutting of some circuits for some building work in my new place and noticed a rogue earth cable. One of the fellas in the house was a sparky and said it may be something to do with the boiler (recently had a new one installed and some other gas works). Picture attached.

Can anyone give me any more pointers, and what I need to do to make things safe?

Cheers.

Attachments

• Earth wire.jpg
    Earth wire.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 242
Sponsored Links
sparky and said it may be something to do with the boiler
He's not a sparky then if he's not sure? Looks like it's the main bonding for the gas. Needs an earth clank on the outgoing gas pipe from the meter and connected to the main earth terminal probably via that loose cable.
Any qualified gas fitter wouldn't have left it like that either so you have to question their qualifications too.
Might be worth mapping all those green yellow cables and where they go from and to as the photo isn't really too useful. The incoming earth clamp looks dodgy too.

Thanks guys,

I will get in there and have a proper look and get some clearer pics. Once I've worked out what to do I assume this is something I can undertake myself (with correct precautions, mains off etc)?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the consumer unit is out the top of the photograph, you need to ensure there's an earth cable to it as well. There may well be but it'd be normal to see it run up the same route as the meter tails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back