Rogue Polish bathroom installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 months ago I had a new bathroom installed, by a Polish guy...

You can see where this is going already cant you...

Well, a couple of weeks back, I noticed quite alot of these little black flies started appearing, and no matter how much fly killer I used, they just kept coming back.

Anyway, then a smell started to come, sort of like a dirty water smell, so I figured out there must be some water leak or something wasnt right.

The installation had been done such that, the cistern was boxed in(hidden), and no access point to get to it without smashing its tiled plasterboard casement to pieces, and all mosaic tiles as well.

I opted to do this, there was no choice really, because the flies and stench were unbearable.

The toilet outlet pipe had become unattached from the waste outlet pipe, and bascially there was water damage and a fair amount of human waste too.

Since then, I have cleaned it, used a industrail disinfectant, and the flies have gone, so has the smell, but after removing all the toilet casing, I realised that there has been alot of water damage to the framework for the casing, so I had to remove all of that too.

Im now in the process of letting it dry out! And looking ahead to how Im gonna rectify things.

Essentially this is how the bathroom was constructed.

Wooden frame
Plasterboard attached onto that
Mosaic tiles attached to that

Im fairly certain the plasterboard was not waterproof(Aquapanel etc) as it was so soggy, and could just be pulled of with a gentle touch.

One thing I have noticed, is that the plasterboard in the whole bathroom have been attached to the wall by being screwed on directly with no battening or gap between them. Is this a problem? Will I need to take them off and refit??

The boxed toilet area, as it was damp and no ventilation there has caused the interior of the wall to get some black mould, whats the best way for me to remove this, will I need to have it completely replastered?

If I put new plasterboard panels up around the bathroom, whats better to avoid getting the black mound, leave some gap by using battening? or just screw straight onto the wall?

I am planning to refit the whole bathroom myself, as the water damage is everywhere, and I think its better just to start again, so im sure you will be seeing alot more posts from me in the months ahead.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back