Ronseal Radiator Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used this stuff? Is it any good? Better than regular gloss paint for painting rads with? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Haven't used that one. it looks like a waterbased enamel.

I have only used oil based enamels previously. Not a fan of waterbased finishes.

Gloss (oil based) is normally ok but can yellow very quickly and you wont be able to leave wet towels on the rads to dry, the paint will soften when hot.

The ronseal stuff should be ok but the brush strokes might be a little heavy given that it seems to be waterbased

Thanks opps. Can you recommend anything that will be easier to get a good smooth finish with? Rads with brush marks don't look nice.....

I've just been to a Dulux Trade Centre and they recommended the Hammerite radiator paint. Is that any better than the Ronseal? Is it an oil based enamel? They also suggested I could use an acrylic based gloss... Any comments on that?

Sponsored Links
I've just been to a Dulux Trade Centre and they recommended the Hammerite radiator paint. Is that any better than the Ronseal? Is it an oil based enamel? They also suggested I could use an acrylic based gloss... Any comments on that?

Sorry about the tardy reply

I haven't used the hammerite paint but it is solvent based so it should be ok.

Hammerite to me is over priced, over rated, and the covering power is well within question. I have used the Ronseal rad paint and although a retail product is a solvent borne enamel.

It has good covering power yet tends to be heavy on the brush, so a good quality china bristle is paramount to achieve a good finish.

Acrylic paints have the advantage of not yellowing yet are harder to apply, I think that with the innovation of the 2010 coatings and the pushing of the Acrylics and water borne coatings. Decorators are again left with yet another steep learning curve.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back