Roof Beams Sticking out of Garage Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry I am a complete beginner, and not really sure what I'm asking or if this is the right category. Basically - we bought a house last year which came with a dilapidated old Garage. The building is structurally sound and we're trying to do some work to make it useable (and less of an eye sore!). We're doing as much ourselves as we can, and getting folk in to do what we can't.

Anyway... The question is the timber beams for the roof seem to stick out of the back wall of the garage (see attached photos). We're trying to tidy up the garden a bit and these are a total eye sore. I was really just wondering if there is a structural (or other reason) for these to be this way. Or could we have the sections that stick out cut off. And more over is this something which requires an expert, or literally something I can just saw off myself.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but hopefully someone will take pity and be able to offer assistance!

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0720.PNG
    IMG_0720.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
How odd! Anyway chop them off. In an ideal world you'd cut them back to beyond the render thickness but that's gonna be pretty messy to do that.

Were the beams possibly used to support a tabletop outside?
Like a potting bench?

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your help! May well have been used for a table top or something - I hadn’t considered that!

Thanks again!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back