Roof concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I will start with the questions and then a bit of an description plus some pics.
1. Should I worry about the white deposits in the apex of my roof?
2. Can ridge vents be fitted to this sort of roof easily?
3. I have started noticing what looks like saw dust scattered around the loft floor boards what should I do about this?

I have a slightly unusual 1920's roof in that there is no felt or batons. Its basically feather edge boards with Rosemary tiles straight on top.
I had a quick google about the white deposits and it sounds like its salt/condensation marks so nothing too serious, My dad had the eaves boxed over about 20 years ago to make painting easier. I'm planning to add a load of round soffit vents but was also thinking about some type of ridge vents.

As for the sawdust there dosent seem to be any live wood worm (I'm by no means an expert on this though). I was thinking of just hoovering it up for now and keeping an eye on it, Is this wise or should I get someone in or do something more urgently? I was thinking of maybe getting some sort of timber treatment, A spray bottle and giving the whole thing a coating?

Excuse the cobwebs lol

IMG_0287_zps48ghhhtp.jpg

IMG_0286_zpsgyrby19u.jpg

IMG_0288_zpsg3cdbnwl.jpg

Sponsored Links
That timber looks solid to me, a well constructed roof. That white staining you see is probably from the cement on the ridge tiles, no harm spraying it with wood preserver.

And the cobwebs are cos it's haloween ;)

Edit... Couldn't spell haloween

Yes condensation in the apex causing the rot, no point fitting ridge vents the featheredge will block any ventilation.
If the tiles are the original then your roof looks in good shape for 100 yrs old!

Sponsored Links
Yes the tiles/whole roof are original. Ive just had my 1st ever leak in the bottom of a valley so while I was sorting that I though I would ask about the white stuff.
Even with the leak I couldn't find anything obvious wrong with the roof other than a build up of moss which I cleaned. Some of the tile cuts up to the valley tiles were a little gappy so I replaced 4 of those with new neatly cut tiles and I replaced a couple more that were a little warn.

I will brush off the white stuff and give it a spray with some wood preserver. Plus as I said I will add some soffit vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back