Roof Construction Cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can give me some help. We are considering buying a cottage which has limited head height in it’s roof space, and are wondering about the cost of having a new roof constructed– joists, rafters etc. forming trusses, finished in slate, 4 velux conservation windows . No chimney. Price without insulation, plasterboard. Just the serious joinery and building work. It’s adjoining 2 higher buildings on each side, so there wouldn’t be any raising of gables required. The cottage is approx 9 metres long, 4.5 metres span. What would be the rough cost a contractor would charge – for materials? And for labour? I’m just looking for a very ballpark figure, to the nearest £5000, that sort of thing. And how much extra would I factor in for possible dormer window? Any information will help us to decide whether to purchase this almost derelict property, or not. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
You've got no chance of getting a meaningful opinion to the nearest £20k let alone £5k

Any information will help us to decide whether to purchase this almost derelict property, or not. Thanks for your time.

Cost = materials + labour

A guide might be something like you find here

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/costs/roof

You should be able to get close. Then shop around as builders only use cost + labour when working out what it costs them. What it costs you is what it costs them + what they think you can afford to pay.

Would you be raising the wall plate height as well as the ridge height,or just changing the pitch of the roof by keeping the same wall plate height and increasing the ridge height?

A (very) rough cost could be given to remove existing roof and cut a new roof with a greater pitch including 4 veluxs etc for a straight forward up and over roof.

Many things effect a quote/estimate, such as access, right down to how far away a skip can be placed so unfortunately it would be difficult for someone to advise you with anything more than very basic costs

My initial thoughts would be around the 20k mark....but i could be very wrong.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards
Jake

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. It's as I thought, very difficult to say a cost. Depends on how we approach someone, how much it fits in with there preferences for a type of job, how busy people are, how much I know in advance, or appear to know in advance, site conditions etc.

Wall plate would not be raised by the way. A very approx figure of £20K was the same figure that I'd come up with, but I realise it could be much more.

Interesting stuff. Will give it more thought. Thanks for your time, all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back