Roof flashing problem, Bodge job or weather damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on roof flashing.

Could anyone tell me if the flashing in the following pictures looks like it was correctly fitted?

Barratts say this is weather damage, obviously the wind did lift the flashing off but looking at it I don't think it was fitted properly to start with. To me the general finish looks poor and it doesn't look like it was keyed into the roof properly.

I'm no roofing expert so any opinions would be useful.

Simon

DSCN2702.jpg

DSCN2705.jpg

DSCN2707.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is an absolutely atrocious job, not only has the lead flashing not been installed properly (and been dessed into position with the back of a shovel) the tile verge undercloak which has been bedded onto the blockwork wall should have been somewhere near straight, not looking like the foothills of the Himalayas!

Sponsored Links
But it's not a DIY Disaster - it's been done by 'professionals'

Thanks for the replies. I've spoken to Barratts customer care who are going to send a roofing contractor round to look at it, I'll let you know what they say.

As for the DIY disasters section, I could probably find enough Barrett disasters around my house to justify a new 'professional' disasters section.

Barratts :cry: :cry: :cry:

If they send round the roofing contractors who did it in the first place then they are obviously not going to condemn their own work but will probably just bodge it back.

Your roof is a really, really bad piece of workmanship and it all needs pulling off and doing properly. Don't accept anything less

Not only is that extremly bad workmanship, but i would question why its been designed with leadwork that wide anyway.

Nothing wrong with the size, as I look @ page 80 of my Lead sheet association Manual ;) a few welted seams and a dot or two.............but Barrats wouldn`t pay a subbie to do that :rolleyes: if they could find one who could and would work for them

still look on the bright side, its worth a bob or two as scrap value! :LOL:

Hi there,
I fit leadwork for a living so when I tell you that this is a bodge job...its a bodge job. Persimmon are also kean on this type of detail on their houses and i have a fair few of those. When I do this kind of flashing I allow 4 inches of lead to sit under the coping stone and copper nailed if into breeze block. Then when the builder comes and lays his coping the job is sealed and everyones happy. In your case it looks as though the roofer has set less than 25mm under the coping and over time the elements have caused it to come loose. Possible reason for this is that the copings were laid before the leadwork so the roofer cannot get a decent amount of lead under the coping.
Your problem is not weather related but a bad job to begin with-

Barratts and Persimmon are NIGHTMARE houses I will alwasys stick to the solid old houses with proper brick internal walls.

Hope this helps

steve

Moderator 3
Welcome to the forum Steve, your website link can be shown on your profile instead of here because of the forum rules, your profile is here ;)

I've just printed that picture off to show the lads at work.not just the lead work, but the block work on that verge is utterly atrocious wants the tiles stripped off. the block work sraightning up.
lead re-fixed properly,that girth of lead should be fixed with screws and lead domes to support it. i honestly can't belive a roofer would tile that end up with the block work being so bad a state,should hang there heads in shame....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back