Roof insulation, pitched vaulted ceiling???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi back again! Finally got the roof done and tiled.
Looking for some info regarding thickness of roof insulation required to achieve the U value.
I have a low pitched lean to roof on my new extension. I have 200mm rafters so have plenty of room for insulation and air gap. 400mm centres, breathable membrane and a vented soffit approx 20mtr square floor space.
Can anyone give me some help with regards to what's required before I go and order the totally wrong stuff!😊
Cheers Ian

Ps I was going to use celotex

Sponsored Links
This a domestic extension? Out of interest why do have you a soffit vents if you have a breathable membrane?

Yes it is a domestic. With regards the vents, I was told it would be better vented, but I know I didn't need to be when using a breathable membrane. Just mis advised really. This roof has been the headache of a lifetime. I will be glad when it's completed so I can concentrate on the bits I'm qualified for! Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Yes vaulted ceiling but plaster boards on undercloak. I'm I right in saying I need to use foil backed boards too?regards Ian

OK, you need to achieve a U Value of 0.16 so if you used the U Value calculator you will find you need 90mm between and a 50mm continuous layer beneath.

According to the calculator you cannot achieve this U Value with just insulation between.

You can use pretty much any 'PIR' type insulation so no need to limit yourself to Celotex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back