Roof leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We started repainting the bedroom and in the small closet we have above the stairs, linked to our bedroom we discovered a lot of mold. We have there large cupboards, we aren't able to see above and in the back of them so this was going for a long time to get in this state, as it was painted 3 years ago. We called a local roofing firm with good reviews (not many though) and they said that they need to lift half the roof to identify the problem. And they quote us over 3k for doing that. Something didn't felt right so I'm looking for other roofing companies but I would appreciate if someone can give me some ideas regarding of what could be wrong with our roof. I'm attaching images of the cupboard interior and of the roof, the cupboard is located under the front right corner of the roof, above the entrance. Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1734.JPG
    IMG_1734.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 109
  • roof 0.JPG
    roof 0.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 112
  • roof 1.JPG
    roof 1.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
it certainly looks like a leak

but to me it looks more like plumbing than roof.

Why can't you look in the loft?

Why are there such a huge number of roof ventilators?

Thank for responding JohnD, I'll get my husband to check the loft tomorrow, as it's not a walkable one so we need to put boards for him to be able to access that corner. I don't know why are they so many the whole neighborhood has them, we just moved here 3 years ago.

Sponsored Links
I thought the same Alastairreid, I wander if the insulation above the ceiling can be part of the problem but until my husband gets into the attic we cannot confirm it. I also thought about it might be something wrong with the gutters...

See if it cleans off with warm water and bleach.
You need to get airflow in the cupboard.
Lack of insulation above the cupboard will cause a cold spot and condensation.

Can I find somewhere on the internet how the insulation must be correctly done?

Don't bother going into the loft just wait till the next time it rains all day to see if it leaks.
Keep the wardrobes out for the time being and spray the mould with something like disinfectant.

Thanks Catlad, I'll do so. We sprayed all the interior with Ronseal's 3-in 1 mould in the same day we saw this.

If there's no insulation above that cupboard the ceiling there will be a cold spot, if warm moist air is in that cupboard with no airflow you will get mould.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back