roof overhang over neighbours land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More problems (potentially!) ...

We have converted our kitchen flat roof to a pitched roof which has resulted in an overhang over the boundary line (the kitchen wall is built right on the boundary). Is this allowed under the party wall act? e.g. similar to footings.

If my neighbour objects what would the likely outcome be? I guess they would have the right to demand the overhang is removed. If that was the case, what would my options be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
one more thing ... planning permission was sought for the work although this issue was never mentioned by anyone (architect, local authority, builder).

Your architect should have annotated the plans to the effect that "nothing overhangs the boundary".

You would need planning permission for the overhang along with the landowners explicit consent

If the neighbours object, then you will have to remove it and form a box gutter above the wall. Or pay them something to let it remain ... and that something will [normally] be £5 less than the cost to alter it. Plus his and your legal fees to change the property deeds

Your architect has messed up if this is how he designed it

Your builder should also have known and advised/asked you if you had permission to overhang the boundary

Thanks Woody. Looks like I will have to be extra nice to the neighbour then for a while :LOL: . With luck they wont notice, but I doubt it.

Your architect has messed up if this is how he designed it

At least I have someone I can sue for damages!

Sponsored Links
This issue often flags up and is usually sorted at the design stage.

However it is the builder who checks final dimensions and should not proceed until the issue has been raised with both the architect and the customer.

To carry on and complete without mentioning it is ludicrous. This is not a small issue but it is an obvious glaring one.

The only mitigation i can see is if the build was contracted out to various trades and that everyone shrugs their shoulders and points to the homeowner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back