Roof Tiling queries on new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll shortly be tiling my single storey extention with standard sized clay tiles.

One corner of the roof is rounded off as you can see on the attached plan.It will also have bonnets if that helps.

I have tiled two gable ended roofs before but this is a bit more advanced.

Please can i have some advice on how to get the tiles around the bend (smoothly)?.
There is also a woodburning flue sticking up through the main roof .Whats the best way to make this opening solid and waterproof ?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
One corner of the roof is rounded off as you can see on the attached plan.It will also have bonnets if that helps.

Please can i have some advice on how to get the tiles around the bend (smoothly

There is also a woodburning flue sticking up through the main roof .Whats the best way to make this opening solid and waterproof ?

The bonnets are only for the hips and nothing to do with the curved section.

To do the curve you need to have the lath set out correctly, which itself will be diffficult. the tiles are then laid as usual but with mitred cuts to keep the joints between tiles looking tidy. You will also find the need to cut the width of the tiles to suit the side laps. It is very labour intensive. Personally I think with the skill needed you should use a professional roofer. Take a look at the example below and read how the lath were done as well.
http://www.dreadnought-tiles.co.uk/abbotts.htm
Also http://www.sandtoft.com/downloadfile.php?DataSchemeID=3&BLOBID=93 .pdf file on curved roofing

For the flue, I would do a traditional lead slate. I can do my own as I taught myself to do lead burning. You are best to have a local plumber make one up for you. The base should be around 600 x 600 so you can trim it to suit on site or maybe a little more depending on the diameter of the flue. (Give the plumber a section of Flue to get the sleeve the right size). Alternatively there are usually flashing kits with flue systems to deal with what you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back