1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Roof underfelt

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by jaber551, 3 Jul 2008.

1. jaber551

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi chaps,

Need some advise please...my roof undefelt is torn in several places some small and some large ..there is no leak but it makes it very windy at times and wind can be felt through the hatch and light fixings.. I am wondering is it worth to replace the whole underfelt or just patch the holes?

If patching could be an answer, what is a suitable material to use? would flashing tape do the job?

I am trying to avoid forking large amount of ££ for something can be done cheaper...especialy if overhaugling may damage the tiles and that is another cost

Many thanks

2. Xenon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Duct tape is ok, depending on the type of felt.

3. Joatmojo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Buy, beg, borrow or send the wife out to obtain some scraps of any type of underfelt and cut to size (gap between rafters + 2" down turn each side), tuck into overlap and tack batten a couple of noggings down each rafter to secure - job done . .

4. Joatmojo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, I hasten to add that you should not bang about too much less you loosen the roof slates/tiles - probably best to screw.