Roof verge cement mix and additives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read a few options regarding cement for verge tiles concerning mix and additives. Wondered if any roofers here can share what they do. Should a waterproofer be used for example and at the moment temperatures are around 5-10 degrees so is frost admix a good idea? Mixture of x2 Building sand x1 sharp sand x1 cement is that a reasonable mix to be using?

New Year Cheers to you all

Sponsored Links
5 to 10 degrees is plenty warm enough for mortaring.
Nowadays they recommend dry roof with mechanical fixing rather than bedding and pointing. Although personally i think they look awful.
Not sure about the actual mortar mix needed though.

I used the sharp/building sand mix, can’t remember exact ratio but wasn’t far off what you’ve said

I've opted for dry ridge kit, manthorpe i think was the name or something like that and I bought plastic soakers too but for the verge, all the plastic covers I see on new housing estates just look plain naff.

Sponsored Links
Using interlocking marley moderns, loaded roof then ran eaves on both sides, for the verge I did whole tiles with underlaps cut off and half tiles cut (14.5cm). Decided to work backward from verge on right side so set the verge out with a 40mm overhang using a timber fence I made and completed row at a time, slipping tiles under the interlocks and working towards the house to ensure finish to large velux windows worked out somewhere near good. When I've got finished that side (two or three rows to go) I can lift off the verge tiles, fit undercloak and cement them down then starting the other side with a cemented verge I'll do at the same time, hopefully find it easier having done one side!

However, having issue with EDW velux flashing at moment, tiles didn't sit perfectly flat on flashing sides (I cut nibs out and trimmed foam fingers on flashing) but thought be fine anyway as rain will run away from window as a result but slight issue with top row as tiles over top of window flashing kit not sitting so well, flashing also has inbuilt triangle/wedge to sit.carry the tiles on but that seems way too low by some 10-20mm for the marley moderns (i've not measured it as it got dark) so the tiles just sink on the foam fingers. Wondering how to get around that now! ideas welcome? Didn't find the velux instructions very clear in places but found a youtube video of a velux guy fitting same EDW kit with some electric ones that explained it better.

Cut a piece of lead approx 3" wide and fold it into a triangle and place it over the piece provided with the skylight.

I'll have a look tomorrow at adjusting the position of the triangle bar under the tiles, work gets in the way during the week and nights draw in too fast but work from home so will take a break to have a look as that's a good shout on the lead idea, I've some original 50's lead that was pulled off when the rear porch came down to make way for the extension so could use that if needed. Will need to fettle the unlevel tiles that sit either side of the flashing at the top to establish a correct and even line to follow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back