Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, am hoping for some advice.
I have recently moved into a circa 1900 stone built farm cottage. I have a growing wet patch on an upstairs bedroom (gable end) wall and ceiling. I had the pointing done as was told that would solve the issue, but it hasn't made a bit of difference. The rain is relentless and the patch is getter bigger and wetter by the day. I had someone in the roof space spraying for woodworm and he says the roof is dry but the gable wall is really wet. The wetness of the wall is also visible on the exterior. I got someone with a drone to take a couple of pics of the chimney as the neighbour has two chimney pots and I only have one. Pic shows that the one side has been cemented over so don't know how the water would be getting in, but that is the wet side. The internal wall has been patched up several times so this seems to be an ongoing issue, with the water staining painted over for buyer viewings :mad:
There is a fireplace down stairs and I imagine that there was one in the bedroom at some point. There are no vents in the wall where one might have been. Any thoughts or experiences of the same thing?
IMG_20231214_164755.jpg
IMG_20231214_164801.jpg
Thank you
Roof 2.jpg
Roof 7.jpg

Sponsored Links
As far as I know you should not completely block off a chimney you need air flow within the stack - a vent in the old blocked up fireplace and a vented cap on the top.
Apart from that it could also be a leak in the chimney flashing compounded by not being able to dry out as ther is no air flow.

The flouncing on the other pot does not look very good as it should be all the way to the edge without being able to see the frog but that side is not the problem is it.
And when you say you had the pointing done - what I am looking at is a very poor job its already full of cracks -- sorry.

Hiya, the cracked pointing is the existing, the fresh stuff is on the left and under the wooden fascia. The whole wall needs repointing, due to lack of awareness of the amount of issues the house has and limited funds, I am having to prioritise. The stone mason told me it's not the time of year to be pointing anyway, he was only trying to get me over the winter. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Hiya, these are the only other pics I have, maybe you can see what you need from them.

Attachments

• Roof 4.jpg
    Roof 4.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Roof 5.jpg
    Roof 5.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 40
  • Roof 6.jpg
    Roof 6.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 47
You are going to have problems with the flaunching as the person who cemented the new terminal has left a hole!

Sorry not sure what hole you mean. Is the flaunching the cement that has capped off where the chimney pot is? I can see a little hole in pic 5 and pic 6 has a bit of foil on the wall, is that the hole?

Hiya, the cracked pointing is the existing, the fresh stuff is on the left and under the wooden fascia. The whole wall needs repointing, due to lack of awareness of the amount of issues the house has and limited funds, I am having to prioritise. The stone mason told me it's not the time of year to be pointing anyway, he was only trying to get me over the winter. Thanks for your input.
Sounds fair.

Sorry not sure what hole you mean. Is the flaunching the cement that has capped off where the chimney pot is? I can see a little hole in pic 5 and pic 6 has a bit of foil on the wall, is that the hole?
I am looking more at the cement around the bottom of the stack - shouldn't that be lead flashing.

I am looking more at the cement around the bottom of the stack - shouldn't that be lead flashing.

Yeah, I think you're right. I sent the pics to a roofer yesterday and he mentioned that it needed flashing and possibly roughcasting.

I think that there is your problem, I am surprised the chap who did your tempoary pointing did not pick up on it - are the other houses done the same way as yours

I think that there is your problem, I am surprised the chap who did your tempoary pointing did not pick up on it - are the other houses done the same way as yours
I know they have the same brick chimney but with two pots on top. Not sure about the flashing, will check on Tuesday and report back. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back