Roofing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive had some water coming through into the loft and upon inspection someone got these pics for me.

There is no lead flashing on the roof, cement was used and where the house is so old over the years its deteriorated so now i have some gaps/holes.

My question is would it be possible to use some expanding foam to fill these gaps (just as a temp fix)? i can only really access these gaps from my loft (a roofer got on there before and got these pics). The reason i ask is that i dont have the money to get it fixed properly and probably wont until after xmas (ive been quoted 560 to re cement it and about 900 to lead it)

Someone has said to use some mastic but that will require me getting up onto the roof which obviously i would rather avoid :p

The issue runs both sides of the roof.

2iaerrq.jpg

32zs2us.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that a join between two roofs that we can see?
Ideally the repair should be done as a lead valley, cement filling is very much second best.
Expanding foam would probably do something to help but its not in its correct application here.....it doesn't always go where its intended and can actually lift tiles - which you don't want.
John :)

I can't see any makeshift repair working there, especially not from the inside, a tarpaulin might work if it were big enough but that would need access and probably need replacing a few times.

Yes this is where the roof goes along and then meets the wall (i live in a mid terrace house).

Sponsored Links
do you think some thing like bitumen roof repair mastic would be better then?

As i say this is only a short term fix until the new year when i can save up the money to get it flashed

An internal repair is nigh on impossible.....the cheapest way would be to get up on the roof, get rid of the knackered cement and replace.....once the cement is dry, a coat of some bitumen product would probably protect it over the winter.
John :)

I'd get it fixed now, the cost of the interest on a loan would be less than the cost of doing a short term repair - especially if it fails

Get it fixed before the winter.

You could probably make a makeshift repair using roofing felt.

If done properly it would last a few years.

so if i used some felt i would apply it like an L shape, so itll stick to the wall then come down across onto the tiles?

Assuming you would suggest felt adhesive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back