Roofing experts requried....PLEASE!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I knew my roof on the house I just bought wasn’t great and just had a leak from one valley fixed a few weeks ago. At that time the guy said the rest of the abutments look bad but if they’re not leaking could be left till the weather is better.

Well, they are leaking…pretty much all of them. The ‘ridge’ between my house and next door, the four chimney stacks (one is going so less worried about that) and the original 1912 roof dormers don’t look great either!

There just doesn’t seem to be any lead around the abutments…just pointing which is now crumbling. The other houses in the road have flashing that goes straight down from the stock and under the tiles and don’t have flashing over the top, so I’m wondering how to go about replacing this.

I’m a pretty competent DIYer when I understand what needs doing and can’t really afford to pay to have the whole roof done…
What I need to understand is how the ‘hidden’ flashing should work and how to go about re-installing it. The roof tiles have been replaced at some point and obviously not well though the roofer's I;ve had round to quote have said the actual tiles are OK, it's just the abutments are 'missing'!

I’m guessing it’s going to be a lot of work and will end up with some (a lot) of broken tiles when they come off…

A bit of the roof is exposed from the underside whilst I have a ceiling down in the bedroom so can see daylight between the chimney and the tiles...I’m guessing this isn’t best practice ;)

Can anyone tell me what this style of abutment is and recommend a website or a book on how this should be done? I’ve done the usual Google searches but coming up short at the moment.

Thanks,

Virgil

Sponsored Links
You'll get a much better response if you post pictures.

Sponsored Links
So here's a couple of pics of the house...not sure if it helps or not...
8267143021_5c864d20a7_b.jpg

The right valley on the front gable had been replaced (you can see it from the dormer) and i've had the valley done on the left.

The stack on the front right is the one that's got the biggest issue at the moment. Mainly because i need to re-board the ceiling asap and can't do that till the leak is cleared up!

8267148833_ce8c90daf3_b.jpg

close up of the front dormer. some light weight flash tape has been stuck on but not chased into the walls or run under the lead siding. Apparently the side of the dormer is lead sheet according to the first roofer.

8267147731_92fe48eccf_b.jpg

side dormer (stairs) close up. the tiles are the originals where the tiles on the rest of the roof are replacement..

8267146719_6a360a3c15_b.jpg

Next door's roof for reference. Equally wonky, but have the original tiles.

not sure if this helps or not - will try and get more close ups in the light..

is it right that lead shoudl go under small flat clay tiles and over larger ridged ones? I've managed to get a guy at a half decent price and sounds like he knows what he's talking about...looks like he's doing a good job, but when i pointed out the other houses had the lead under the tiles and coming down vertically to join it, he said that was because they are smaller flat clay tiles with soakaways underneath and the tile cut tight to the stack, As i have (can now see, badly fitted) larger ridged clay tiles, the lead need to be over the tiles.

My only issue is that it looks less original than the other houses...but then as the tiles are not original either...

1. Your pics are fuzzy. Pics of, and up, the valleys are needed. Likewise, clear shots of the various tiles, and the flashings in question.

2.It's hard to advise you without knowing precisely which tile/flashings you are asking about.

3. Only a suggestion, but, even as an experienced DIY'er, perhaps you should stay off the roof.

You should have soakers under the small plain tiles (actually between the tiles in fact)

The interlocking tiles will have a cover flashing over the top generally , but a secrett gutter can also be used.. but rare

The pitch roof break (dormer) that is tile hung looks like there could be some flashing missing..

not sure whats what at ridge level, either some are missing, or there is a flat roof area up there??/

pictures are not great s..

not sure whats what at ridge level, either some are missing, or there is a flat roof area up there??/

pictures are not great s..

That's what I thought at first but it's just the way Google have stitched the 2 pics together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back