Rooflight opening size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are just in the process of laying the rafter for the lean to roof, we will e doubling up where the rooflights are buy in respect to the opening size is it a case of the window dims + 40mm or something else?

Also, are coach bolts required for fastening the doubled up timbers together?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The rooflights will come with fitting instructions and they will tell you what gap to leave.

BC will insist that you use coach bolts to bolt the trimmers, and it's a standard detail, but I nailed mine together on my extension with lots of 3" ring shank nails from both directions (because while I'm a structural engineer, I'm also very lazy, and I knew I could prove the capacity of the nails if I needed to). They didn't object...

The rooflights will come with fitting instructions and they will tell you what gap to leave.

BC will insist that you use coach bolts to bolt the trimmers, and it's a standard detail, but I nailed mine together on my extension with lots of 3" ring shank nails from both directions (because while I'm a structural engineer, I'm also very lazy, and I knew I could prove the capacity of the nails if I needed to). They didn't object...
tut tut :giggle:

……. architects and S/Es moan when builders don’t follow the plans exactly

Sponsored Links
If using velux skylights then you need to leave 30mm each side, if you don't you will struggle to fit the insulation collar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back