Rookie painting mistake with new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, i've really balls'd up painting my new room (garage conversion). I wish I had come across these forums before I started!

I sealed the new plaster using the B&Q plaster sealer. I wasn't aware you could just use a water/emulsion mix to do this. I just remember the plasterer telling me to seal it before i paint.

Secondly, I painted all 4 walls using dulux "Silk" vinyl emulsion paint! Which was slightly thinned down.

I did notice it looked crap, but i thought it was because it was just the first coat. But obviously it's not because of that. I've got all sorts of streaks and ridges and it's just terrible. It looks as though in some places the silk paint has dried really thick, and in some places it's really thin. I've come the the conclusion I don't even like silk paint now either.

Will i still be able to get a good finish with matt emulsion if I sand down the walls and apply oil based undercoat as i've read on some other threads?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back