Room Thermostat is it a requirement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30si boiler installed along with all new radiators each of which has a Thermostatic Radiator Valve fitted. The boiler provides both heating and DHW.

There is no room thermostat fitted at and I use the timer in the boiler for setting times for heating and DHW.

Currently its my residence but at some point in the future I plan to rent it out. I already have a landlords safety certificate signed by the original installer.

I understand that the heating is effectively controlled by the demand from the radiators but however it works it seems to work well.

However I have recently been told that a room thermostat is a "Legal Requirement" Can anyone comment on this, is it a legal requirement or required for any other reason?

Sponsored Links
Yes it's required by the building regs when fitting a new boiler.

or required for any other reason?

yes, the other reason is that it prevents your boiler firing up, wasting gas, and churning heat up the bypass when the building is already at, or above, its target temperature.

Rather like starting up your car and revving away, with the brakes on, after you have reached your destination.

Naturally, there are a few people who think this is sensible. Not many, though.

I recently had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30si boiler installed along with all new radiators each of which has a Thermostatic Radiator Valve fitted. The boiler provides both heating and DHW.

There is no room thermostat fitted at and I use the timer in the boiler for setting times for heating and DHW.

Currently its my residence but at some point in the future I plan to rent it out. I already have a landlords safety certificate signed by the original installer.

I understand that the heating is effectively controlled by the demand from the radiators but however it works it seems to work well.

However I have recently been told that a room thermostat is a "Legal Requirement" Can anyone comment on this, is it a legal requirement or required for any other reason?

Ah, you had a Worcester fitted, we all have our cross to bear...... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Ok Thanks guys I see it makes sense and if building regs require it it should be there.

Any recommendations for a decent and not too expensive wireless room thermostat I can get installed that will work with my boiler?

Easiest thing to do is get a worcester dt10rf plug in wireless stat. No wireing needed.

Make sure you remove the trv head on the radiator in the room where the stat is located

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back