rot damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not sure if this belongs to the carpenter or builder or any other forum :S - English is also not my first (or second) language so if this construction is called something else in the UK, please let me know :)

I found rot in parts of my enclosed front porch :(

I have a few questions about this - if anyone can help/point me to the right direction I would be grateful :

- Do you think this is something that affects the structural integrity or patching with wood filer/epoxy after soaking the wood with wet rot hardener will suffice/is a viable option (maybe if i insert supports of some kind for the glass panel and the vertical timber and then patch with epoxy)??
- Can I prevent the rot from eating away the rest of the timber by using as much wet rot hardener as i can (http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/wet-rot-hardener) and keeping the timber dry by properly sealing it near the glass panel/applying new stain, or due to the shape of the construction etc the rot will keep eating it away until i either replace everything or it crumbles to bits??
- If the timber requires replacing I don't think I'm up to the task as I don't have the tools to plan the wood/shape it like the existing timber. In this case, what would be a reasonable quote for replacing the timber/getting rid of the rot ? I live in greater London, near Hornchurch.
- I posted a job in myhammer (http://www.myhammer.co.uk/job/replace-rotten-wood-in-enclosed-front-porch/4548590/), can anyone here suggest other sites or builders/carpenters who can do the job so I can get some quotes/compare prices?

Many thanks to everyone experienced (and unfortunate) to know about this, who shares their knowledge :)

Regards

Sponsored Links
There is little weight to that structure I would say fill it sand it paint it.

Sponsored Links
Inspect all areas for any other pockets of decay, timber is likely poorly preservative treated or window is poorly detailed trapping water.

Water likely got in past the beading or down the vertical member, so these are key areas to look at on other windows, consider renewing seals behind beading.

Remove as much decayed timber as possible.

Go nuts with preservative.

Fill with resin.

Seal with paint stain.

Maintain the paint stain religiously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back