Rotation calculator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a rotation calculator like the sagulator a month back, but can no longer find it.

The idea was that if I build a cabinet in my 3m high room to be 3m high, and I build it lengthways on the floor, when I go to stand it up, it wouldn't be able to rotate - so in fact I have to build it shorter than 3m if I want to go along this route.

Anyway, the calculator tells me my maximum height, and I can't find it.

Sponsored Links
Unknown max cabinet height squared + cabinet depth squared = 3m squared

So, assuming 0.5m cabinet depth (500mm) ...

Unknown height = square root of 8.75 (9-0.25)

Absolute maximum height of cabinet can be 2.958m (2958mm)

Adjust to suit ... !

Pythagoras.. Any triangle calculator can tell you what you need. The hypotenuse(long side) is 3m, the depth of the drobe is one side, the unknown height of the drobe is the other

Just so ha know.. If you can look at the side of a rotating wardrobe and see it as a triangle between the fulcrum, highest point and another bit, then that's why Pythagoras applies

Sponsored Links
i build tall units in at least 2 sections then finish with a plinth top and bottom scribed to the roof as required

Well I'm still using a top and bottom scribe (plinth), but I didn't want to build in two sections.

Job done now anyway. Rotated nicely.

The idea was that if I build a cabinet in my 3m high room to be 3m high, and I build it lengthways on the floor, when I go to stand it up, it wouldn't be able to rotate - so in fact I have to build it shorter than 3m if I want to go along this route.
Surely, any room is going to be longer in the diagonal?
So, just angle the unit so that it is leaning from corner to corner rather than in a horizontal-to-upright position.

Surely, any room is going to be longer in the diagonal?
So, just angle the unit so that it is leaning from corner to corner rather than in a horizontal-to-upright position.

You can't argue with maths, nor Pythagoras. ;)

Probably a bit of turning and twisting could gain you a cm or two, but we're talking about a 100+ kg unit which is 3m high. Quite awkward to move around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back