Rothwell Shower! How to open?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a thermostatic shower in a friends house. It is not mixing enough hot water into the output.

They have been taken over by Deva but they cannot give adequate instructions as to how to access the cartridge.

It seems rather more clever ( or seized ) how to get it open.

Does anyone actually know how to in relation to this particular unit?

Tony

PS Yes, I have tried all the usual things!

Sponsored Links
No model name or number, but its surface mounted with gold flashed finish and ceramic insert and lever.

Single lever control which rotates about 450°

like what they useally call an antique style ?

sounds like the R995.
rothwell_r995_antique.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks like the unit!

That will be very helpful to me.

But have you ever opened one?

It seems that immediately on the right there is a ceramic insert which covers the screw which might be item no. 3

Any suggestions on removing that insert which does not seem to be shown in that drawing?

Could it be just as easy for me to disconnect the top outlet, blow out the water and pour HCl in the hopefully dissolve lime scale which may be clogging it?

Tony

But have you ever opened one?
not opened one but it is basically the same as a hudson reed shower
It seems that immediately on the right there is a ceramic insert which covers the screw which might be item no. 3

Any suggestions on removing that insert which does not seem to be shown in that drawing?

not 100% sure how to remove it.
Could it be just as easy for me to disconnect the top outlet, blow out the water and pour HCl in the hopefully dissolve lime scale which may be clogging it?

Tony

useally on these they say a strip down and new service kit can sometimes sort it
SERVICE KIT

If that fails then fit a new thermostat and piston shuttle.

THERMOSTAT

you may also need to reset the temperature after stripping.
When the valve is rebuilt you may have to reset the temperature. See below.

The temperature adjusting screw is down the centre of the valve you will need a long thin screwdriver to adjust the temperature,
Remove the front cap turn the shower on to its hottest position next remove the knob retaining screw the water will run out when you remove this screw, don’t worry about this. Place the long thin screwdriver down the centre spindle and screw anti clock wise for hotter clock wise for cooler.
When the temperature is a little hotter than you would like then refit the screw and cap the valve should be just a little hotter than you require when it is set at its hottest position.

The temperature adjusting screw is down the centre of the valve you will need a long thin screwdriver to adjust the temperature,
Remove the front cap turn the shower on to its hottest position next remove the knob retaining screw the water will run out when you remove this screw, don’t worry about this. Place the long thin screwdriver down the centre spindle and screw anti clock wise for hotter clock wise for cooler.
When the temperature is a little hotter than you would like then refit the screw and cap the valve should be just a little hotter than you require when it is set at its hottest position.

Those are wondeful words!

But this cap is domed ceramic and inset inside a tube in effect.

There is nothing to pull on, it does not turn and in an case how can you grip a hard ceramic dome to turn it anyway.

As it fits snugly into this tube there is no way to get anything past it to pull it forward!

Had I been able to get that out then I would have been able to take it apart.

Stumped right at the start!

If only I could open it then possibly all it might need is the temperature adjustment turning up.

Tony

The drawing mentions two filters, number 44 I think.

Unfortunately the drawing is not very clear.

Can you improve it or explain in words which are the filters?

Is there much of a chance the hot filter is well blocked?

Most showers I go to seem to have the thermostatic element stuk by lime scale hence my query about draining it and adding HCl.

Thanks

Tony

Agile better view of the mixer.

XXCXVV.jpg

your ceramic dome is it not like this one where you can grip the edge ?
imagesczz.jpg

once you can unscrew this then you can access the screw and remove handle to gain acces to the temp screw.

advised today to check filters, try the temp screw if not then give it a service and lube if fails then a new thermostat/piston.

The dome in the small picture was not as thick and no flat surface protruded to grip. It was GLUED in place but the glue had failed and I was able to rotate it and then prise it out.

NOT a very sensible way to assemble anything!

I am still waiting to find a long enough and thin enough screwdriver to access the temp screw.

However, today I did what I was proposing and turned off water, removed outlet connection and front screw and sucked all water out. I then poured in 32% HCl and there was just a very little bubbling, nothing like as much as I had expected.

I left the acid in there and rotated the control a few times but nothing much was happening. I then warmed it up with a kettlefull of hot water and there was a little more bubbling.

Afterwards it was drained and reinstated and I quickly tested it with my hand and it did seem a lot better.

I also tried to undo the big nut "4" but that seems very solid and I dont want to break it.

The head on this shower with about 2 bar dynamic pressure gives a very pleasant and tingly shower and I would not want to have any open cuts as the pressure might open them up further!

You mentioned a similar shower, is that one still available and with the same 12 point star head? I would not mind getting one of those heads as it seems to be the best that I have experienced even though I used to stay in a lot of hotels.

Thanks

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back