Rotten Door Surround (UPVC)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Today I have been investigating some damp plasterwork in our 1920s semi-detached house. We have what looks like a uPVC front door fitted by an owner before us and on peeling back the PVC surround I can see a rotten piece of wood on either side of the door frame (bottom right of the attached picture; the other side looks slightly worse). A piece of wood which the base of the PVC frame rests on is totally rotten (wet dust consistensy) and joists for the floor in contact with the relevant wall are also rotten.

There is a huge crack across the steps leading up to the house and I imagine this is the source of water ingress so will get this sorted. Though I think the steps are original (or at least have been there for some time) I'm open to other possibilities like the steps bridging a damp proof course or similar?

With regards the wood around the door frame, I'll obviously get underlying issues sorted but I would be grateful if someone could:

1. Clarify my understanding - I imagine the PVC frame is screwed into this wood which forms a frame around the whole door, tather than being screwed directly into the brickwork?

2. Advise what might be a reasonable course of action? I imagine the wood frame needs to be replaced? If it does would I be best asking a joiner / doors & windows company / DIY job?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230913_155019.jpg
    20230913_155019.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back