Rough-casting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice on rough-casting please. I live in a detached bungalow and we have noticed quite a lot of cracks appearing on the rough-casting. Our building has been painted, we have had a few quotes on having the building re-roughcasted.
Had a builder out today who has said because the building has been painted we will have to have the building scrimmed as new rough-casting would not stick for very long because the building has been painted.
Other builders have said this is not necessary, can someone tell me the proper way to do this.

TIA

Sponsored Links
I prefer to hack off and find the cause of the cracks. Meshing over is another option. I wouldnt coat straight over painted roughcast as you will see the cracks come back through, then you will see it come back off in sheets. My honest opinion is hack off and re do. It might be slightly dearer but is the best option

Thank you very much for replying. We have had a few quotes ranging from £2500 to £3500. The highest quote was the one who told us about having the walls scrimmed ( I think that was the the word he used ) removing the damaged parts of the building dealing with them, putting the netting over the whole building and re-roughcasting the whole building. We didn't want a patch job as previous owners have done this at some point and painted over it, I think to try and cover it up.
Unfortunately there are so many cowboy builders out there (no offence intended) they give the good ones a bad name. One of the lower quotes is still adamant that he can re-roughcast straight on to the paint. Anyway I am waffling on now. Thank you very much for all your help.

Thank you very much for replying. We have had a few quotes ranging from £2500 to £3500. The highest quote was the one who told us about having the walls scrimmed ( I think that was the the word he used ) removing the damaged parts of the building dealing with them, putting the netting over the whole building and re-roughcasting the whole building. We didn't want a patch job as previous owners have done this at some point and painted over it, I think to try and cover it up.
Unfortunately there are so many cowboy builders out there (no offence intended) they give the good ones a bad name. One of the lower quotes is still adamant that he can re-roughcast straight on to the paint. Anyway I am waffling on now. Thank you very much for all your help.
no, dont go with the cheaper one. You will find it wont last through next winter. Is bith prices including all materials and scaffolding? If so, even at 3500 you have yourself a good price.
Price isnt everything though, as you said there is far too many cowboys or "tradesmen" who work to a very low standard and it really grinds on me. I would say, go in to your local builders merchant and ask them for a couple numbers for highly rated roughcasters and get a third or fourth opinion. Doesnt cost a penny and will give you better peace of mind

Sponsored Links
Yes the £3500 included everything. We are awaiting another quote, we were given his name from a builders merchant who rated him very highly.
Once again, thank you very much for replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back