rough corner joins on skirting boards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone advise me on rough corners on skirting boards please.
Some have a little gap on the corners (outside corners) and that is ok, I have simply filled those.

Im not sure what to do with the ones where one edge is a little proud of the other, with a rough,bitty, feathery edge.
How do I get rid of this, I have tried sanding with ordinary sand paper but this isnt working really.

Sponsored Links
assuming its sticking out a few mm
i would tackle the strait bit with a sharp chisel held above blade pointing down and about 30% inwards with a sawing action[pushing the blade across and down gradualy at the same time]

iwould use small files, coarse sandpaper well folded or round a bit of wood whatever gives the correct shape needed
then fine sndpaper to finnish

Decorators caulk,press with finger,paint,job done,off to the pub missus.(assuming your going to paint.)

soaringjock said:
Decorators caulk,press with finger,paint,job done,off to the pub missus.(assuming your going to paint.)

heeelllooo soaring jock :LOL: :LOL:

as i read it [could be wrong though ;) ] the skirting had been cut toooo long so the "sharp "mitred edge is protruding proud of the skirting face :)

Sponsored Links
soaringjock said:
Hi Biggsy,I think he dealt with the external,(outside corner),otherwise as you say Bigs.

yep you could be right it was the featherd edge that threw me :LOL: i think :?: :?: :?: ;)

I have confused you.
What I meant was that I have two sets of french windows and the outside corners of the skirting boards at the door openings are not perfect as the joiners have left them.
Hubby and I thought that this would have been done but apparently not, its up to us to fill cracks, nail holes, rough bits etc.
so, two outside corners have a little where both pieces meet and I have filled this.
The others are as I tried to describe but not very well.
Where the two ends meet at the corner, one end sticks out a tad more and the edge of it is not smooth.
It is like a sort of wooden little fringe (that was the feathery bit) and I tried to sand it off but it just flattened them and tore the sand paper.

Also, when sanding such as window sills, what is quickest/ right way?
ie, circular movements or just back and forwards...

anyway... thank you, I did do that and whilst I did one perfectly, I have got a few chisel holes in the board where I got a bit cocky.
However, I will just fill them and then sand them.

Sanding is a pain but using a block Im keeping more skin on my fingers.
Just wondered about the direction.

always along the grain,(longways),start with 120,finish with 240 if available. (u wuz right bigs)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back