Roughcast Cracking with Frost

bdw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The roughcast on the front of my house has been badly damaged by the frost during this hard winter.

1. When is it safe to get this sorted?

2. I also need to replace my windows. Should I do this first?

Sponsored Links
Best waiting till spring/summer before getting your casting renewed.
Windows 1st.

As a general rule it is usually best to wait until spring before any exterior rendering is undertaken. This is when any frosts and bad weather that may affect drying cement have "usually" passed.

Ideally, get both jobs done at the same time to get all the mess over with in one go.

If you can only get one done at a time, then doing the windows first will allow the future rendering to be finished neatly up to the new frames. However, a major reason to get the rendering done first is the issue with penetrating damp which could cause a lot more trouble in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying guys but I don't think I fancy the logistics of trying to organise both jobs at the same time. :(

I am in an end terraced house and a few years ago I had to get the end done. A local "builder" did this for me and charged me £2.2K. He made a mess of it and it had to be patched after a year or two. This time I need to get it right.

I am in a similar position with the double glazing. This was originally done about 20 years ago and I want it replaced but I am having trouble deciding who to use for this. I am based in the west of Scotland (Balloch area) so I am in the Glasgow catchment area.

Are there any websites that cover my area where I can find reputable tradesmen who provide references and guarantees?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back