Rounded Screw!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all im wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do with rounded screw heads?

I am replacing an LCD screen on a canon IXUS 50 digital camera. i have done this before and it is a reletivly straightforward procedure however this time one of the screws just refuses to budge and in my efforts to remove it it has started to round.

It is a very small screw and i am using precision screwdrivers philips 00 but i still cant get it to move.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am assuming its a posi screw and not a flat head. You could possible carved a channel into the screw with a dremel tool or a stanley knife. This would enable you to get a small flat head scredriver into the channel and turn it.

If it still wont move, you will have to get a very fine drill bit and drill out the centre of the screw. It will then disintegrate and you wouldnt have damaged the cameras screwthread (although you'd need a new screw!).

These are only my suggestions - if you go about them , please dont blame me!

Maybe somebody out there has a better method? Although I suspect that this forum is probably the wrong one to deal with this matter, possibly try a harware forum.

thanks for your advice. I'd be a bit wary of using a dremel as the static discharge could damage the internals but the screw is definatly soft so a stanly or small hacksaw might be the way forward

On man-sized screws, a left-handed drill is best for drilling them out, as the torque and vibration wil often cause the screw to unscrew. I don't know if you can get them in dremel-sizes, though. You need to clamp it well as the drill needs to be exactly concentric with the screw, and on the same axis, especially if it is a steel screw in an alloy casting.

Sponsored Links
Aaaaaargh! Noooooooo! Not the stud extractor! They re the work of the devil!

If used freehand, they usually snap off inside the screw (they are made of a very hard, brittle steel).

Since they are so hard, you can't then drill them out.

However, if you have got a drill press with a workpiece vice good enough to run these extractors in without breaking, you are equipped to drill the screw out without using those horrid things.

(BTW, "Easy-Out" is a cruel joke)

I have a set of three bits designed especially for removing screws with damaged heads. (Imagine a countersink bit, but designed to run anticlockwise and with only three blades.) I can't lay my hands on them at the moment, I have no idea what they are called, but I have used them and they do work - you have to apply a fair bit of pressure and drive slowly.

That's what I was actually searching for when I found that link I posted. Maybe I'll have another go now I'm back at home.

In my defence, however, I have to say I've never snapped a stud extractor and I have a very old set that has got me out of trouble many times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back