Routing all pipes together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my house was originally fitted with night storage heaters and emersion heaters. The previous owners decided to fit a boiler in the garage which is below our bedroom floor. We get noise through the pipes when the boiler changes from DHW to CH. I took up the floor in our bedroom to find pipes layed as the picture shows.
My question. Is this really advisable running a cold water pipe so close to heating and hot water pipes?
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't have thought running them virtually touching is a good idea, given that pipes expand/contract by small amounts as they heat up / cool down, I would think that they're likely to make contact with each other in various ways - generating noise etc.

I know in my house while I have a similar set of pipework, each pipe is spaced out from the others by a small amount...

im not 100% convinced it is the pipes making the noise. just concerned about not being very efficient. its probably like this for about 30 feetish

Ideally a 50m gap should be in situ where you run hot and cold water pipes in tandem. That said it is possible that when they are expanding it is cause of your noise.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. i might widen the notches in the joists to allow me to insulate the pipes. Its like a knocking noise for about 5 second. you can hear it when you stand next to the boiler, but it is noisier in the house

How well were the pipes clipped? If too loose they can bang and rattle. As they are so close together they could be difficult to clip.

I would be careful notching out more of your joists as I would say they have already exceeded the prescribed limits.
Pete

another problem is condensation forming on the cold pipe due to being in between two hot ones,

i was always taught when running domestic pipes round walls to fit the hot above the cold with a 40mm gap to minimise condensation forming on the cold, so it does happen, if the incoming main is very cold and the heating flow is very warm i think condensation would form, but i'm sure others will agree with one of us and give pelters to the other :LOL:

Before doing anything...

What kind of noise is it?
It is hard to discribe. sort of nocking. sounds exactly the same as the divertor valve if you know what i mean.
when the boiler is heating CH and you turn on the tap, you get a bang, sounds like pipe hammer. then the nocking noise. when you stop the tap the boiler stops, starts to nock. then carries on with heating.
the nocking is very predictable sounds the same every time.
Before anyone adds how i can discribe this so well. try listening to it at 3 in the morning! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back