Rover 25 cam overrun?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for taking the time to read this.....

My (trusted) mechanic has told me that the clacking noise in the first ten minutes of the engine running is probably something called cam over run. He feels that as the car is tired its not worth spending the time and money trying to sort it out. Trouble is it's just embarrassing to drive. I haven't done any car repairs for years, my more complicated jobs would have been wheel bearing changes, head gasket change and replacing all the seals on twin carbs on a dolomite but that was fifteen years ago!

Am i right to trust my mechanic, should i get a haynes manual and get stuck in or should i just pay the (hundreds?) of pounds and take it to a rover garage.

Cheers

Buzzbob

Sponsored Links
Ask for a description of what cam over run is.

As far as I know it is a description of the part of the cam lobe which does no work.

So in terms of a problem, I'm unaware of what cam over run is.

Maybe the camshaft is badly worn?

(edited) just re-read your posting.
If it's in the first few minutes, but then goes away, the chances are that it is to do with the hydraulic tappets. These use oil pressure to take up the slack; and if they are sticking, then sometimes they will only work when they got hot and the oil gets thin.

treating the engine to a dose of flushing oil (follow instructions on can) and a refill with fresh can have a good result.

How many miles has the engine done, and has it always had regular oil changes?

The engine has done about 30k and its a 2002 reg. The car was serviced as per the recommendations for its first three years and then i started taking it to my regular mechanic who i've used for years. The noise started at about 25k.

I'll get hold of some flushing oil and give that a shot.

Cheers

does sound like a lazy hydraulic lifter,when you change the oil make sure you or he is using the correct grade for the engine

Sponsored Links
Your car has done 30K, and is a 2002 reg, and your "mechanic" says the car is tired, and not worth spending money on........ :eek: :eek:

Find a good mechanic, or take it to a main dealer for diagnosis, also, ask them to change the oil and filter, to ensure you have the correct grade.

Back