RSF84 ignition problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I've got a Ravenheat RSF84 that has been working basically ok but occasionally the flame fail light has been coming on.

Tonight it seems to have packed up completely.

Turn the boiler on. The fan and pump runs but the boiler doesnt fire up.
Take the front off and there is a gas feed and what I assume is an electrode to fire the boiler up. I'm reading 6v if I measure between the electrode and the boiler case.

Any ideas ?

Stu

Sponsored Links
A bit more on this...

I've taken the ignition gubbins out and checked to see if there is continuity. I can put power through it so I know its not broken inside.

Is 6V the sort of figure you would expect ...
Stu

I really do think that it would be safer if your got a proper boiler engineer to diagnose the fault for you.

There is the common perception that plumbers are thick!

But a competent boiler engineer has a variety of skills which will enable him to correctly diagnose the problem and will ensure that there are no safety breaches!

Tony

Time for an RGI I would agree, especially seeing as you have been prodding about near the electrode.

On the side of the gas valve there is an ignition box. What colour is it? I have seen the blue SIT ign pcb's cause intermittent lockouts like this.

Sponsored Links
I thought this one just had an ignition electrode acting on the main burner?

Tony

Eyup! someone has took the line out of my post that mentioned the possibility of a blocked pilot burner!

Take the front off and there is a gas feed
and what I assume is an electrode to fire the boiler up.

I assume by gas feed he means pilot burner tube.

The copy of the MI's I have at hand is for the earlier version of this model which shows a pilot.
Ravenheat have a habit of adding new features as they go along. I think some may have been made with a direct ignition set up before this boiler evolved into the CSI

If I am wrong the OP will soon post back saying there isn't a pilot burner.

Although I suggest a likely cause I must re-iterate the advice of getting an RGI as the OP has come close to getting a 20000V or whatever belt from the electrode.

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm not daft enough to grab hold of the electrode when it fires up to see if its working :eek:

This model does have just 1 electrode and a pilot light. I discovered last night that there was no gas coming to the pilot light. Presumabely the system logic will only release a spark when gas is flowing so I think its a gas issue rather than an ignition fault. There is gas to the boiler.

The gas valve control / ignition unit is made by Honeywell and has a red cover. There are 4 wires (2L and 2N) from this unit to the gas valve, plus 6 direct connectors. There is power from one bank of the wires which cuts as soon as the flame fail light comes on which is after about 20 seconds.

Right now I'm thinking that its either this control box or the gas valve

You could just change the ignition control box.

However, I hope that no one is going to give you detailed advice on work on gas parts like the pilot or valve. That needs a competent CORGI engineer.

Already some Mad Mod has tampered with slug's posting! Totally correct to remove any advice on gas work but he should have left a note explaining his actions to make it quite clear to others that no advise on gas work is to be given!

Tony

Its either the control box, gas valve or control board. I could throw money at it I spose' but better to bin it and buy a new one :(

Its a perfectly repairable boiler and generally fairly reliable.

You just need to come to terms with the fact that you need to pay a competent CORGI to correctly diagnose your problem.

Always cheaper to repair a boiler than replace.

Tony

maybe it's time to stop now with the advice as Agile has pointed out it is time for him to get an RGI to take a look

If it's the red Honeywell ign module that fits a Ferrolli maxima then your talking the best part of £200 :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back