RSJ Help (please)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am meant to be buying a house round the corner from me (Havering), but there is one stopping point. The owner was married to a builder and he done the work in the house himself, so the through lounge was done by him before they split up.
Unfortunatly, he didnt bother getting building control round to certify the job, and now we are going to buy the house the solicitors want to see a certificate....obviously now the owner has had to get the council in to get this certified, but they are really messing us all about.
Today they went round to look at the RSJ, but promptly walked straight out because they said it was the owners resonsibility to reveal the RSJ.
Now we are both really angry about this, as we were told that they would remove some plaster to reveal the RSJ, but we were misled.
Now I am having to take the day off tomorrow to go round and try and reveal as much of the RSJ we can without making too much mess, but obviously enough to get the job approved so we can buy the house.

Basically my question to anyone who is in the know is what should we do to be reasonably sure that the council inspector will be able to pass the work as fit?
Ive been told that to take a part of plaster off where the RSJ meets the wall on both sides and also to take some plaster off where the padstone is fitted.
Can anyone confirm this?
I was also told (by the a*shole at the council) that they might need to see under the floor in the living room....but after speaking to 2 other surveyors they said that this was utter bull*hit.
Obviously any info anyone has before tomorrow morning would be brill...

Thanks
Wez

Sponsored Links
Personally i wouldnt do the work yourself, not without written word from the other parties solicitor - as you will probably be liable for making the work good again.
You would be better off getting a builder in to do the destructive works and making good then getting him to bill the current owner (as long as they agree to this in writting). Then you can open up as you say the padstone and beam corner, and the builder can be there if any other works are required.

yeah i see your point, but the completion of the house is balancing on this getting passed asap, and we cant get builder in this quickly.
We said we would help fix the job up again after if we end up not buying the house....but hopefully it doesnt come to that.
The problem is she is a woman on her own and she doesnt know what has to be done, and her solictors are so poor she and i have had to deal with most of the bits and pieces.

I've done this type of thing on occasions for clients. As long as the owner gives you permission I can't see a problem. You should be absolutely clear as to how you are going to leave it when you finish - i.e. are you going to leave it exposed, make good, re-paint etc. If so will that be patch painting or full painting?

As for looking at the beam, the BCI will at least want to see the end bearing, (all 150mm of it) the padstone and probably the full height and width of the beam to show it's full section. I also wouldn't be surprised if having seen it they then ask for calculations to show the beam is suitable for the loading.

It is not impossible that they might want to look below the floor, (otherwise how could they be certain that the wall is sat on something substantial?) but It's unlikely.

Sponsored Links
You could always ask for cash off the sale to pay for any remedial works required to get it passed retrospectively. Ask for the amount it would cost to replace the steel and make good.

jeds said:
I've done this type of thing on occasions for clients. As long as the owner gives you permission I can't see a problem. You should be absolutely clear as to how you are going to leave it when you finish - i.e. are you going to leave it exposed, make good, re-paint etc. If so will that be patch painting or full painting?

As for looking at the beam, the BCI will at least want to see the end bearing, (all 150mm of it) the padstone and probably the full height and width of the beam to show it's full section. I also wouldn't be surprised if having seen it they then ask for calculations to show the beam is suitable for the loading.

It is not impossible that they might want to look below the floor, (otherwise how could they be certain that the wall is sat on something substantial?) but It's unlikely.

Arrrgh this is a total nightmare.
We have gone round and exposed parts of the beam, and it has shown that one side has been done with a padstone (but we think now that it may not be big enough) but the other side has no padstone.
The owner has called her ex-husband (who owns the building firm who done the work) but he doesnt want to know. So I have managed to find a builder who can do the work in the next couple of days.
Thing is now, the council are going round this afternoon to look at what is there at the moment and they will obviously fail it. We are just hoping they will just point out the obvious and let our builder come in and get on with it....but we know he might end up being a funny barsteward and cause more problems.

Static said:
You could always ask for cash off the sale to pay for any remedial works required to get it passed retrospectively. Ask for the amount it would cost to replace the steel and make good.

We cant, as the mortgage company will not allow it i dont think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back