RSJ HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm confused I've builder in at the moment and plans that he's following that an architect has produced. But the builder is stumped, as my floor joists run the length of the property and my back wall is due to disappear, but he is unsure how to add the RSJ without loosing ceiling height. The others that I considered the job didn't see this as an issue, but now I'm worried.

The kitchen that is there at the moment runs 50% of the back wall of my dinning room (it was a latter addition over 20yrs ago). The floor joists run in the same way as it does for the rest of the property front to back.

How does my builder remove the Kitchen side return wall and the back of dinning room. I presumed that the joists would sit in the "I" bar shape of the RSJ? Am I right? He's ask that i ask the architect how he expects it to work... which i intend to do.

I'm worried as he may ask for more money and he was at the top end of the quotes!

Thanks for reading this

Rob

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Right if i read that correct you have a 20yr old extension which you are knocking through to the dinning room?

Firstly your right its down to your "Architect" to sort out the detail of how he thinks it will work.

If its stated on the drawings the builder priced on that the steel is to be recessed into the wall providing a flush ceiling then there should be no extra cost and he should have priced for the extra hastle involved.

Most beams are downstanded below the ceiling line and pick up the external wall because of the difficulty involved with supporting both wall and joists while pushing the beam into possition.

You should check to ensure your kitchen ceiling height and dining room line up, or you may have a step in height anyways and ressessing the beam would be almost pointless.

Anyways.. more usefully providing a beam with a oversized steel plate (say 100mm bearing) on the bottom to support the incoming joists is perhaps the simplest option..

Firstly your right its down to your "Architect" to sort out the detail of how he thinks it will work.
Not necessarily, if the arch has been appointed to get building regs approval as opposed to providing a working drawings package then there may be no need to provide such a detail. Technically you can get regs approval with a plan and sheet of building regs notes. A set of working drawings is entirely different.

Not necessarily, if the arch has been appointed to get building regs approval as opposed to providing a working drawings package then there may be no need to provide such a detail. Technically you can get regs approval with a plan and sheet of building regs notes. A set of working drawings is entirely different.
True.. you get what you pay for..

Sponsored Links
The other option is to bolt timber into the web of the steel, fix joist hangers to the timber and secure the joists this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back