RSJ - How much do they have to sit on wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have a job for a customer fitting some triple sliding doors. They have had some builder in before me to fit the beam. For some strange reason he has fitted it 100" up so now I have to also build a stud partition above the doors :mad:
Anyway other thing is he has made the opening slightly too small. The RSJ is 6" x 3" and the gap its spanning is 2.5m. It is sitting on the bricks either side 12" after the opening is changed it will only be sitting on 6-8" is that enough?
Also is it ok to be sat on the bricks (Old victorian house) or should it be sat on some key pad?

Thanks all for your help and advice in advance
rsj10.jpg

Sponsored Links
6" is all that is normally required, he will have put the beam up there because the bricks fell out up to the first floor joists and it was easier for him thats my guess.

A typical steel beam calculation is factored using a minimum bearing of 100mm. Those with greater or unusual point loads may increase this to 150 or even in some cases 200mm.

It's no great shakes to acro the beam and fit some pad's beneath or trim the opening.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Didn't wanna take some of the wall out and leave the guy with structural problems.
I'll mention the pads to him and let him decide.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back