RSJ measurements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help?

I have the calculations from my SE and I need a beam 3.45m in length and 152x152x30kg/m UKC. Am I right in saying that the beam will be 15.2 CM in width? If so will this be OK to sit on padstones and brickwork that is only 100mm thick? Or am i being thick?

help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
More or less correct. The beam will actually be 15.3cm wide (won't go into the reasons for this).

No problem with sitting it on a 100mm wide wall, but unless it is hidden within the floor void you will probably want to increase the width of your piers otherwise you will end up with a step where the beam sits.

Many thanks.

The beam will sit below the ceiling line, so looks like I will have to increase the width of the piers. I want to use the original wall for the piers and not rebuild them to 153mm. I think I will leave 300mm of the original wall both sides and have to clad the pier to match the finished line of the plaster boarded beam.

Will this be ok for buildings inspector? Or will he want me to rebuild the piers ground up so they are 153mm wide?

If your SE is happy the 100mm piers are up to the job regarding compressive stresses and padstone sizes then all you need to do is thicken them up with a couple of layers of bonding coat plaster and then re-skim.
Or box out with plasterboard and timber.

Sponsored Links

SE calcs and drawing stipulate padstones at 300 x 100 x 215 so SE happy!

Cheers for your help, I will leave piers at 100mm and tidy them up to match the width of the beam once boarded up..probably just dot and dab plaster board onto brick work and skim.

many thanks....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back