RSJ Steel Costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I have a question over cost of steels for an extension. We've had a build who does plans and recommended to us do the BC plans, and hes stated that the steels would cost several thousand pounds, etc..... Now it is a fancy T shape holding up the 2nd story house (see picture 1)

Can any one estimate what you believe the costs would be? Od do you think it would be much more that plan 2 that has a pillar extension?

Plan 1 (T shaped Steel)

Builders Recommend

Sponsored Links
I think the only difference in cost is likely to be the fabricated connection and/or an on-site welder.

There is more propping involved in the first version, masonry removal and disposal and that's aboot it.

Realistically the financial difference in the two schemes is going to be no more than say £800 - £1000, with the first scheme being the more expensive.

All the other complexities of the two schemes remain the same, i.e. underpinning existing masonry, padstones, propping etc.

As for the actual cost of the steel and fabrication - no idea as you have not given any sizes, weights, bolting arrangements whether they are in pairs or single beams etc.

Many thanks for the update, it appears that the builder for some reason does not want to do this, I think I'll have to end up getting my own structual engineer to get the cals done.

Sponsored Links
If the builder guides a client down a path whereby he avoids having to employ an SE its hardy going to lead to good design is it? But then I would question any builder doing the drawings himself anyway.

Thanks all it looks like I need to scrap the guy doing the plans and re do them again! Never mind more cost....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back